21. | Afraid of the Dark

Sitting across from Blade, I notice she's wearing a black t-shirt with a white, long sleeve shirt underneath

Sitting across from Blade, I notice she's wearing a black t-shirt with a white, long sleeve shirt underneath. She's in a pair of blue skinny jeans with a pair of black boots to go with it. She looks comfortable, to say the least.

"Is there something on my face?" She speaks, catching me.

I shake my head. "No. You just look...comfortable."

She lets out a huff. "I'm anything but comfortable currently."

"What is your connection with Lilly, anyways? You seemed really panicked when you burst through those doors yesterday and you've only known her for a little over a week." I lean forward, resting my arms on my knees.

She gives a sad smile. "Let's just say, she reminds me of my daughter."

"You have a daughter?"

"Did. She– uh, went missing while I was in a coma." She rubs her palms up and down her thighs, showing her discomfort, as she looks out the window of the jet.

Still, I push on. "Coma?"

She nods. "For three or four years. When I awoke, my house was abandoned and locked. It was as if no one ever lived there. I looked for someone else, but he was gone. My best friend is also missing, and I only found one person that was a part of my family. He told me about what I missed. And then, five months later, here I am." She explains, blinking rapidly.

I sit back in my seat, shocked by this information. She was in a coma for three or four years. Now I understand why she said she lost everyone. She wasn't lying.

Alex, Nik, and Santiago walk over to us. Alex sits beside me, Santiago beside Grace, and Nik stays standing.

"What's the plan?" Santiago asks.

Blade leans forward, placing a blueprint on the small table in between the seats. "The ball is being held at Mikhail Manor. Since they don't know me, our likelihood of getting inside is higher. I can convince the guards to let me in," She points to the entrance. "While you guys hide out here," She points to a side entrance on her right, my left. "I'll let you guys in."

"Where are we supposed to find Lilly?" Alex speaks, a cold edge to his voice.

"She'll be up on the stage. She'll be up for bidding. And when that happens, we have to bid the highest price." She explains.

"We don't have unlimited money." He talks to her with such rage and hatred, it's unfamiliar.

"I do not care if you end up broke. But if you truly want your daughter back, you will do whatever it takes to get her." She gives him a death glare before her face relaxes. "Unless you don't want her back at all."

He sits on the edge of his seat, getting closer to her without getting up. "Did you really suggest that I don't want my daughter back?"

"I don't know. You tell me." She gives him a blank stare.