Lost in despair 😞

Handsome

Anxiety washed over me as I drove myself to the company that morning. The car felt confining, the weight of the impending confrontation with Sameer pressing heavily on my mind. I couldn't shake off the unease that had settled in my chest since the revelation about the forged divorce letter.

I recalled the conversation I had with my mother earlier, seeking answers to this bewildering situation. "Who brought the divorce letter?" I had asked her, my voice trembling with urgency. But instead of a straightforward response, she had glared at me, her silence heavy with disapproval, before finally replying, "Sameer."

"I'll have to go see him," I had concluded, determined to get to the bottom of this tangled mess.

As I entered the company premises, I was met with surprised and curious glances from the workers who had already started spreading rumors of my return after months of unexplained absence. They whispered among themselves, and though their greetings were polite, I barely registered them. My mind was consumed with the impending confrontation.

I reached my office, and before long, Sameer entered. He looked happy at seeing me but clearly noticing my current mood he turned nervous, fidgeting as he tried to hug me. I wasted no time in placing the forged divorce letter in front of him, my expression stern and demanding.

"Explain this," I said, my voice laced with a mix of anger and frustration.

Sameer sighed heavily, his shoulders slumping as he began his explanation. "Handsome, it was a strain," he admitted. "Your mother kept asking about the divorce letter, and I panicked. I had no other option, so I imitated your handwriting and wrote it."

I frowned, my emotions a tumultuous blend of irritation and understanding. "You could have told her later on that it was you" I scolded, but my tone softened as I realized the pressure he must have felt.

My friends, who had caught wind of my return, entered the office just in time to witness the exchange. Kam and Saleem wore expressions of both relief and concern as they listened to Sameer's confession.

"I'm sorry, Handsome," Sameer apologized earnestly, regret evident in his eyes.

I sighed, realizing that there was no point in harboring anger over the situation.

As Sameer apologized, relief washed over me. I was thankful that I hadn't written the letter myself, a pang of guilt gnawing at me for suspecting he had some motive for doing that. Now, with this misunderstanding cleared, I could breathe easy, and Beauty would remain mine, exclusively mine.

After a moment of silence, I decided to share with them what had transpired after the accident. They deserved to know why I had been gone for so long. My friends, with their eyes fixed on me, listened intently as I recounted the ordeal.

"After the accident," I began, "I found myself in the water, disoriented and in pain. Somehow, my body managed to swim to the shore, where a kind-hearted cattle rearer saw me." I paused briefly, remembering the man who had saved my life.

"My head was badly injured," I continued, "but this man took me to his home, which was in a remote village. He was a really good person. He sold some of his cattle to afford my treatment and never once gave up on me."

My friends exchanged glances, clearly impressed by the generosity of this stranger.

"Months passed," I went on, "and I remained unconscious. But this man continued to care for me, selling more of his cattle to cover the medical expenses. It was only three days ago that I finally woke up, and the first word I uttered was 'Beauty.'"

The room was filled with a mixture of emotions. Gratitude for the stranger's kindness and relief that I was back among them was palpable.

Sam broke the silence, his voice filled with admiration. "You've been through a lot, Handsome. We're just glad you're back."