The End of the Pathway DownHill (Finale) The undevoted pillar

Kazuki POV

The casualties within the MEA building have ceased, and the enemies backed away.

However, in Mizaki School, Tengge was still injured.

Nanao and Kaede are doing their best, while Hotaru and Akari return back to the MEA to inform them about the current situation.

Sen and the four executives are still unconscious.

Lily and I brought them to a spare room in the school. The principal announced that the classes are gonna be suspended for a week due to an incident.

Lily and I carried them towards the room.

Kazuki: They are quite light, aren't they?

Lily: Yeah, I would have to agree with that.

All of them have been laid down in different beds.

Kazuki: That aside, what happened before we arrived?

Her face turned into a slight discomfort as she opened her mouth to speak.

Lily: We were pursuing Shiro because the executives were contained inside her space dimension. However, it got to the point where she snuck here, and we met each other, face to face, only just us two. I lost, and eventually, I woke up to where Elly was in front of me, yelling at me to wake up. Then, we arrived there in the fields and cornered Shiro. We thought that we would be able to defeat her, but she transformed into the Youko we now saw.

Kazuki: That's rough. I'm really sorry that I wasn't of any help.

Lily shakes her head as she shows a warm smile,

Lily: You arrived just in time to save us. If it weren't for you, maybe all of us would have been killed. Thank you.

Kazuki: I was late, but, sure.

Lily: Can I... ask you something?

She murmured in a whispering, and hesitant voice as she looked down at the ground.

Kazuki: Sure... What is it?

Lily: I feel embarrassed to say this but... After seeing Youko...

Before she could continue, I noticed that tears dropped down from her eyes.

Lily: I fear that... Everyone...

She added, stopping in between, trying to hide her sobs.

This is the first time I saw Lily has ever broke down.

Lily was always the mother figure of our club with her mature and gentle, yet somewhat strict nature, and her calm demeanor.

She always tried to be strong... However, humans have their limits. In a year of fighting with the Kakurasu, I've realized that much.

I feel my chest hurt seeing my friends crumble down.

Lily: W-Within these days... I've tried...to improve myself...but...but!

Kazuki:....

Lily: I don't know...

I don't have the right words to comfort her. Even I felt that. Is this war winnable? I too, fear that all those I love will die, at the hands of Kakurasu.

Just by thinking about it, I could feel my heart aching and my eyes tearing up.

Lily: I-I want to... protect everyone... I don't want... Anyone... To die again!

Myu...

I held her hand, grasping it tightly.

Kazuki: I'm also uncertain about this war.