Chapter 24 - Rock Spider Cave

Nie Yan hung up the call. Gradually his body became more and more transparent until he completely blended in with the dense green thickets that surrounded him. He carefully observed the players who were constantly passing by.

Several of these players ran straight past Nie Yan, yet not a single one noticed his presence.

“I couldn’t find him. Where the hell could he have gone?”

“Forget about it. He’s probably already escaped by now,” the Berserker named Lei Zi suggested. A slight fear still lingered in his mind, urging him to leave. After all, ever since Nie Yan had appeared they were always the ones being attacked, never the ones attacking. By now the number of dead on their side totalled five people, yet they weren’t even able to touch a single hair on their opponent’s body. He was an extremely dangerous individual, and it definitely wasn’t worth the risk to continue chasing him down like this. What if they were unable to catch him and were killed instead?

“What about that Arcane Mage, Yao Zi?”

“We chased him into the Rock Spider Cavern. When that Thief Nie Yan appeared we were called over to help catch him, so we couldn’t chase that Arcane Mage any longer. But don’t worry, I aggroed a bunch of Rock Spiders and lured them near the passage, so I reckon he won’t be getting out anytime soon.”

“Hang on, I think we should continue searching for that Thief. His stealth should be coming to an end soon, and he’s definitely still in this area!” the Fighter said, unwilling to give up the search. How could he just allow Nie Yan to escape?

Nie Yan locked his gaze on the Berserker who only had forty-five percent health remaining. As the Berserker had just been in combat, he didn’t have the time to sit down and recover his health. In addition, the system still considered him to be in a state of combat, which meant that his natural health recovery would be slowed considerably. Though his nearby guildmates gave him a sense of relief, he still kept a tight grip on the Basic Health Potion he was hiding in his left hand .

Yet there was one other reason why nobody was restoring their health: the Fighter wouldn’t allow it. He was hoping that their low health would lure Nie Yan out into the open.

Even though they couldn’t see Nie Yan, his mere existence forced them to remain cautious.

The Berserker also had a Silencing Paladin at full health by his side. The two of them began walking in Nie Yan’s direction.

Steadily, they drew closer and closer to where Nie Yan was hiding, yet they still didn’t discover him. It was starting to look like the two would walk right into him.

If an enemy were to make contact with a Thief under the effects of Stealth, the skill would immediately come to an end.

Nie Yan focused his eyes on the Berserker’s throat, waited for the right moment, and then pounced. Vital Strike! The dagger slashed across the Berserker’s neck, sending blood gushing out.

−51

“He’s here!” the Berserker cried out in alarm. He quickly retreated back and drank the Basic Health Potion that he had in his hand.

However, how could Nie Yan let this Berserker get away? He lunged forward and stabbed his dagger into the Berserker’s chest, then followed up with Lacerate. His dagger ruthlessly cut into his opponent’s flesh. The Berserker’s health, which had just been replenished, was once again depleted.

Now the Berserker was at low health and suffering from the bleed effect of Lacerate.

“You’re courting death!” Nie Yan’s movements were so quick that the nearby Paladin had only now reacted. He charged towards Nie Yan and slashed down with his sword, which was burning with a radiant splendor.