Chapter 181 - Withered Leaf

🍪 Cookie 🍪

The guild emblem for Asskickers United had been personally selected by Nie Yan. He was fond of flavourful things that were rich with cultural references.

"I've already heard of the bad blood between your guild and Victorious Return. From what I know, it's only a matter of time before you guys get swallowed up," Tuoba said. The professional players from Withered Leaf had all been puzzled over something. Granted the recent expansion of Asskickers United was indeed worthy of praise, but it was still a fledgling guild, yet to establish a firm foundation. To dare to confront an esteemed behemoth like a Victorious Return? This was clearly a case of the newborn calf not fearing the tiger.[1]

Nie Yan felt a slight hint of anger at Tuoba's words, but he couldn't deny that his concerns were quite reasonable. Any player would naturally have to consider these things before joining a guild. Siding with his guild meant becoming enemies with Victorious Return, so why would Tuoba willingly enter into such a disadvantageous situation?

But Nie Yan disagreed with Tuoba's assessment. Just as he was about to refute, Tuoba continued, "However, I'm still willing to join your guild. I just want to let you know, though. My matters don't reflect the stance of Withered Leaf. Although my family owns the gaming org, I'm still removed from them." Even though he could get Withered Leaf players to party up with him, he wasn't a member of the organization. So he had no jurisdiction over anyone there. Withered Leaf's sole purpose was to generate a profit, whether through in-game businesses, selling merch, or other venues for revenue, while he simply played for leisure.

"You guys are the only ones crazy enough to duke it out with them to the death, but what I admire most is precisely that sort of foolhardy bravery, Besides, I'm also fond of a good challenge!" said Tuoba with a faint smile.

"Well since Tuoba's joining, you can count me in as well," Forthright said. He knew Tuoba's personality pretty well, but even he was baffled as to why his friend had agreed to join.

Truthfully, Tuoba didn't much care for the fame of Asskickers United. He'd accepted the invite simply because he found Nie Yan to be a person worth befriending, with a very agreeable temperament. What he treasured most was a person that he could sincerely interact with.

Nie Yan was a little astonished. He didn't expect the sudden shift in attitude from Tuoba. After a second thought though, he began to understand Tuoba's intentions.

"It seems I was small-minded," Nie Yan said with an apologetic smile. "But I still have to disagree with your judgement. Sooner or later, the guild that's going to be wiped from Calore will be Victorious Return, not mine."

Tuoba's expression flickered with a hint of surprise. Just where was this self-confidence coming from?

"Alright, let's drop the subject. I'm getting a headache listening to you guys. As far as I'm concerned, joining a guild isn't a bad thing. Hey, do you think I'll be the top Berserker in the guild?" Forthright interjected. To him, this matter was far more interesting.

"Yeah, I'd say so. As for being the top Warrior though, I think you still fall a little short," Nie Yan replied. If he had to compare Forthright and Bladelight, he felt the latter was a bit stronger. Bladelight had recently obtained the best armour set from the Sorens Dungeon on Specialist, and although he was slightly behind Forthright in level, he could overcome that difference with skill.

"Damn, there's actually a Warrior who's stronger than me? I want to meet him when we get back!" Forthright boiled with competitive spirit.

Tuoba pondered in silence. Maybe Asskickers United really did have quite a few strong players; otherwise, Nie Yan wouldn't have such confidence.