Chapter 79 - Sulgata Colosseum

Fate tended to operate in an unfathomable way. It could grant a person a short respite during their time of suffering, only to send them straight to eternal damnation afterwards.

Life, or death? Nobody knew for certain what fate had in store for them.

If he wasn’t willing to take on the risks, he wouldn’t have crushed the skull in the first place.

Nie Yan forcefully calmed his mind and extended his hand over the die. A bountiful reward, or a malignant curse, the final result of his gamble would remain shrouded in mystery until this final die came to a stop.

The Fate Die began to spin and tumble in the air as his unknown fate beckoned to him.

Seeing the die rotating at a dizzying speed, he broke out in a cold sweat. Please… Please don’t let it be a curse!

“Stop!” He felt like his heart was going to explode out of his chest.

The die immediately halted, and the strange demonic character revealed before his eyes was shockingly… a five! Another five! Perhaps five was his lucky number!

The surprising result of the final roll left Nie Yan feeling an indescribable amount of bliss. His only hope was that he wouldn’t roll another curse. He never actually thought that he would receive a reward, much less what the reward might be.

After all, rolling three Fate Dice wasn’t something an ordinary player could afford. This extremely dangerous gamble made him feel as though his heart had been constricted from all the stress.

「System: You’ve received Pandora’s Box.」

Pandora’s Box (Fate Item)

What the hell! Another Fate Item!? The first one had already given him enough of a headache, yet he was given a second one! If this one was just like the first and could cause him to be cursed, then he’d rather have it disappear. After experiencing the fickle nature of the Fate Dice, he vowed to never partake in such a terrifying gamble again.

Partaking in a dangerous gamble like that just once was more than enough, so he wouldn’t regret letting the second chance disappear.

Pandora's Box was a perfectly shaped, silver-gray cube. On each face was a different carving depicting various things such as a sinister skull, a fiendish devil, an angel, and so on. Not only were the carvings both vivid and lifelike, they were also meticulously detailed.

In addition, these carvings seemed to be imbued with a peculiar energy.

Nie Yan examined Pandora’s Box a bit more closely. Fortunately for him, it didn’t fall under the same category as the Cursed Skull. In fact, it was actually quite the treasure!

Pandora’s Box (Fate Item)

Item Description

➢Insert three pieces of equipment of equal grade into Pandora’s Box for a 10% chance of obtaining a piece of equipment of a higher grade. All pieces of equipment are destroyed upon failure.

➢Insert a piece of equipment and a Fortune Gem for a chance of raising its grade by one. Upon failure, the piece of equipment is demoted by a grade.

➢Counter (cycle = 3 seconds) begins when activated. If cycle number is even, Luck +5. If cycle is odd, Luck −5.

User Restriction: Can be used by all factions.

This item was actually quite a rarity. Although he had heard of such an item in the past, Nie Yan had never actually come across one himself. In addition, it didn’t lose out one bit to Legendary-grade equipment in value. He could put three pieces of Gold equipment inside Pandora’s Box for a ten percent chance of getting a piece of Dark Gold equipment in return. Of course, there was a ninety percent chance of failure as well, which meant the loss of all the items he had inserted, but the potential return was well worth the risk. For example, if he inserted three pieces of Dark Gold equipment into the box, he had a chance of obtaining a piece of Sub-Legendary equipment! The slight caveat was that very few players would actually dare to stake three pieces of Dark Gold equipment on such a gamble. After all, equipment of that rarity was extremely expensive and hard to obtain.