Chapter 156 - Sapphire Shrine

Nie Yan didn't expect Kill Love to appear here. Was it possible that Holy Empire and Battle Crazed Alliance were working together? As he searched through his memories, he recalled that Victorious Return, Radiant Sacred Flame, and the rest of Cao Xu's guilds did indeed clash with Battle Crazed Alliance, Holy Empire, and other guilds on numerous occasions. While facing the pressure of their superior might, it was quite feasible for Battle Crazed Alliance and Holy Empire to have forged a secret alliance. Honestly, he hadn't acquired much knowledge regarding these matters in his past life. Back then, he was simply a player who minded his own business. Even during the War God Tribe's most flourishing period, he was merely enjoying the life of a young master and had never once even so much as thought of leading his father's guild to contend for rule over the empire.

He was suddenly snapped out of his daydreaming when a fifty-something-year-old man in white robes strolled toward Sleepy Fox and Kill Love. If not for the fact that they were nowhere near a town or city, and that he was dressed like a player, some people might even mistake him for an NPC.

His cheeks were somewhat thin and dry, almost sunken in like a skeleton's, but his expression was lively as he radiated a healthy glow. Overall, he perfectly suited the description of a kindly old man.

Nie Yan had a vague impression of this person. If he wasn't wrong, then he should be the guild leader of Sapphire Shrine. Although not as large as Holy Empire or Victorious Return, Sapphire Shrine was still a well-known guild, and their combat strength wasn't lagging that far behind them. In the previous timeline, Sapphire Shrine, which primarily focused on nurturing Mages, had produced three Magisters among their ranks. One had to know, during a conflict even a single Magister was a strategic resource. Having three represented a force that could intimidate any other power. Therefore, even when Victorious Return was at the peak of their influence, they still didn't dare to rashly declare war against Sapphire Shrine, and the origin for this lay in their Magisters that possessed the power to heavily influence the outcome of a battle.

He seemed to remember this old man's name as well. If he recalled correctly, it was Fa Lan (Blue Mage). In spite of his old age, it would be a grave mistake to underestimate him. In his past life, this old man had managed to advance into a Great Mage, becoming a formidable player to be reckoned.

"You came as well?" Sleepy Fox asked. Agewise, Fa Lan was old enough to be in his father's generation, so proper manners dictated that he ought to address him as senior. However, seeing as both of them led a major guild, making them equals, he wasn't willing to lower his standing. As such, this was a source of endless headache for him. Why was a man in his fifties so insistent on mingling with youths several decades younger than him? What a crazy old coot!

"Oh, don't mind little old me. I'm just passing by." Fa Lan chuckled, then said, "What? Am I not welcome here? You should be thanking me. If I didn't come, Holy Empire and Victorious Return would have really fought today."

Sleepy Fox thought for a bit before coming to a realization. Sapphire Shrine was also a formidable entity. So long as Fa Lan was present here, Victorious Return probably wouldn't dare to take any action. If that was the case, then naturally, no battle would occur.

"Why are you helping me? If Holy Empire and Victorious Return go at it, then wouldn't Sapphire Shrine benefit from the fallout?"

"Nonsense, if you guys really went at it, then Radiant Sacred Flame will also step into the fray. At that point, you're guaranteed to get the worse of it," Fa Lan replied. There was an old saying, "United we stand, divided we fall." He wasn't just being considerate, he was also thinking of what's best for his own guild.

"Is your information reliable?" Sleepy Fox asked in shock. Did Victorious Return really form an alliance with Radiant Sacred Flame? How is this possible? When did this happen? Several questions ran through his mind. Why was Victorious Return always so overbearing to the extent that they seemed to be willing to go to war with anyone...? He finally came to the conclusion. It was precisely because they had the support of Radiant Sacred Flame!