Chapter 164 - Undead Slayer

Nie Yan felt bewildered after taking a look at the system notifications. He hadn't receive the slightest bit of experience for killing the Headless Horseman.

Monsters on this map don't give experience...?

While he was pondering over this problem, he happened to glance at the quest bar positioned at the corner of his vision. I should focus on completing the quest first. Who knows... there might be some sort of reward at the end.

After grasping hold of a suitable strategy, slaying Headless Horsemen became as easy as one-two-three. Without receiving even so much as a scratch, they fell victim to the constant line of bolts firing from his crossbow in quick succession.

About an hour later, he checked his quest bar again.

Task 1 - Kill 20 Headless Horsemen (Progress: 16/20)

From the bodies of these Headless Horsemen he had also managed to pick up two more blueprint pieces. Considering they were for a Sub Legendary Crossbow, the drop rate wasn't all that bad. At the very least, he saw hope of completing the full blueprint.

Eventually, after grinding them for so long, Nie Yan had grown confident enough to make an attempt at controlling one with Undead Rite.

After figuring out their weakness, he had already confirmed he was in no danger so long as he stayed behind them, giving him a sense of reassurance as he boldly cast the spell.

Undead Rite's success rate might be a little low, but inevitably there'd come a moment when it would work. Following repeated failures, he eventually prevailed in assembling a full party of five Headless Horsemen, whereupon he directed his minions to attack any monster wandering about, thus improving his mobbing speed significantly. Not much later, he cleared the quest.

Task 1 complete! You have received the Junior Undead Slayer title.

Task 2 - Kill 200 Headless Horsemen

Nie Yan gazed at the new title which had appeared in his status bar. It would increase his Influence by 1 in all human nations.

Every player could receive numerous titles. Among them were titles such as Great Thief, Shadow Dancer, Divine Priest, and so on... which were class-related titles, but there were some special titles as well. Believer of the Holy or Undead Slayer, the title he had just received, were part of the latter category. Each title gave special property bonuses. For example, Undead Slayer raised Influence... not a bad reward, especially considering how widespread humans were across the continent, so even the slightest boost in Influence would come in quite handy later on.

After clearing Treant Forest and purchasing so much property in the city, plus gaining a certain amount from establishing a guild as well, Nie Yan's Influence in Calore had already reached 19. Now, with the additional point from this new title, it had risen to 20.

Raising Influence in a city was very difficult. Doing it in towns and villages was relatively easier in comparison. As for entire nations, he had only done so once in his past life, and that was when he received the title of Great Thief which gave him an additional 5 Influence in all human nations. The title naturally held other benefits, but nevertheless, he never expected the Undead Slayer title to similarly increase his Influence in all human nations as well.

After checking the next quest, Nie Yan didn't expect it to still be making him kill Headless Horsemen. Moreover, the amount required this time was ten times more than the last. This quest line was really strange...

However, with the aid of his five minions, he was killing Headless Horsemen at a much faster pace than before. He continued doing this quest because he wanted to see what sort of rewards lay ahead.