Chapter 73 - Tricked

Cloaking and Awareness were directly opposing stats. In situations where the opponent was a Thief under the effects of stealth, they could only be seen clearly if the other party’s Awareness was higher than the Thief’s Cloaking by fifty percent or more. When the two stats were equal, the Thief could be spotted if the other player concentrated hard enough while searching. If the Thief was good, however, then in situations where Cloaking exceeded the defending side’s Awareness, the opposing player would be stunned before they even had a chance to react.

Naturally, this wasn’t to say that when a Thief was discovered their attacks could be easily avoided. After all, Thieves were innately fast, whether it be in terms of movement or attack.

In a certain region within the marsh, the air distorted to reveal a silhouette. Its owner was Candy, who had activated Stealth and disappeared earlier on. She had re-emerged at Nie Yan’s rear. Her attack was terrifyingly fast as she attempted to strike him in the back of the head.

A single Concussive Blow would leave him stunned long enough to allow the Mages to send him directly to the graveyard.

However, before Candy even approached his back, he had already discovered her presence. Those nineteen points in Awareness weren’t just for show. He smoothly leaned to the side and avoided her strike.

After dodging, he pivoted his foot and struck back with his own Concussive Blow, aimed directly at her temple.

What a decisive attack! Candy rapidly pulled back, evading by just a hair's breadth, before distancing herself from Nie Yan.

This Thief had somehow discovered her!? Just how high was his Awareness? Not to mention his quick reaction speed and even fiercer counter. His movements were as natural as the floating clouds and flowing waters, a matchless style which left her heart in shock. What a strong guy!

At the moment, the average player was still quite low level, and although there weren’t many methods of attack, close-combat was the best judge of the opposing player’s experience and skills.

An expert! Candy was instantly convinced of this thought, though she wasn’t disheartened. In fact, she was delighted since things wouldn’t be interesting otherwise.

Just as their exchange ended, the Serpentine Lizard chose this moment to charge at Nie Yan from the side. Its gigantic body drew increasingly closer as its gaping maw appeared wider with each passing millisecond. He sidestepped the attack, locked his eyes onto a tree in the distance, then extended his left hand and shot out a line of webbing from his Silk Spinner Ring.

He jerked the web line and pulled himself out of immediate attack range.

The Serpentine Lizard’s attack had struck thin air yet again, enraging it to no end. It swung its body around and charged at Nie Yan once more.

In the brief moment when it had lost sight of him, Nie Yan activated a Basic Haste Scroll and bolted towards the three Mages at Eternal Sin’s rear. For the sake of preserving his life, he had no choice but to lead the Serpentine Lizard towards them; otherwise, he’d have no chance of surviving.

Eternal Sin firmly grasped his greatsword and blocked the approaching opponent’s path. He readied himself and prepared to attack when Nie Yan entered his range. A Thief’s innately frail defense meant that as long as he got in a few strikes, they could be easily killed.

As Nie Yan drew closer, Eternal Sin stared fixedly at him and the Serpentine Lizard in tow. At this point, it would be hard to avoid a confrontation with the lizard, though the most immediate issue was Nie Yan. They needed to kill him off; otherwise, it’d become quite annoying if he started wreaking havoc while they fought it.