Chapter 137 - Leaderboards

Since Tang Yao had contributed the most to slaying the Scaled Frog, he received a much larger share of the experience. As such, the generous amount of experience granted by a Level 30 Elite caused him to immediately level up.

In an effort to encourage people to challenge themselves, players would receive more experience if they killed a monster above their level. Depending on how high the monster's level was, the experience they would receive could be as much as several times or higher. However, at the same time, the higher the monster's level, the more difficult it was to hunt due to the level penalties. Players like Nie Yan, who relied on special methods to hunt higher level monsters, were especially rare. So even if he didn't focus all his energy into training, he would still be able to gradually overtake the vast majority of players in level.

"Holy crap, amazing! I levelled up!" Tang Yao exclaimed. He had never seen such a huge jump in experience before. Even though he had just recently reached Level 10, with just one kill, his experience bar had gone from 1% all the way up to 100%-resulting in him levelling up to Level 11 with 7% already filled! If he kept levelling at this speed, then even attaining the top position on the leaderboards wouldn't be a problem!

Nie Yan leisurely walked up to the Scaled Frog's corpse.

"Let's see what it dropped." Saying that, he bent down and picked up the drops from the ground: 26 silver, a Fortune Gem, and Thief Leg Guards.

Shadow Wind Leg Guards (Gold)

Requirements: Level 30

Properties: Defense 133-135, Balance +12, Jump +15, Resilience +23 Weight: 12 lb

Restrictions: Thief; can be equipped by all factions.

The Shadow Wind Set, one of the better Level 30 Thief sets, consisted of three pieces of gear: leg guards, shoulder guards, and bracers. When a player equipped all three pieces, they would gain a set bonus of +30% Movement Speed and the Annihilating Edge skill. As he wasn't Level 30, he still couldn't equip it yet. Although he might've already gone off and found something better by the time he did reach Level 30, he planned to hold on to these leg guards nonetheless. Just in case he didn't find anything, the Shadow Wind Set would serve as a decent stand-in.

"A piece of Thief equipment dropped along with 26 silver and a Fortune Gem," Nie Yan looked back over his shoulder and informed Tang Yao.

"Huh...? Oh! Well, let me know if any Mage equipment drops. You can take everything else." Still in amazement, Tang Yao was a little slow to respond.

Just as the pair was about to move on, an important announcement appeared in the chat.

Victorious Return has placed a 50 silver bounty on the head of player Nirvana Flame. The amount will be paid out each time to whoever kills the designated player and forces them to drop a level. To claim the reward, provide sufficient evidence at Victorious Return's guild headquarters.

Tang Yao, stunned by the announcement, turned to Nie Yan and asked, "Why did Victorious Return put out a bounty on your head? Was it because of those three players you killed?" Just who in the world did Nie Yan piss off for Victorious Return to go after him in such a way?

Even Nie Yan himself didn't expect Victorious Return to place such a large bounty on his head. This meant he would need to be a bit more careful when setting foot outside of the city in the future. He smiled at Tang Yao and said, "Ah, it doesn't matter. It's just a bounty. They'd have to kill me for it to mean anything. Besides, I'm a Thief. What's so scary about having a bounty on my head?"

Nie Yan's carefree and relaxed appearance was a stark contrast to Tang Yao's anxious and brooding expression. The latter recalled the words of the former, about forming their own guild and how a single person's power was meaningless in the face of a larger enemy. Taking these things into consideration, it seemed obvious his brother's true feelings weren't as laid-back as he made them out to be on the surface.