Chapter 113 - Thunderbolt Blaze

Nie Yan headed to the transfer point and proceeded to Tasoyi Village. Retracing the steps of his last visit, he traversed Plague Forest, the Gaia Monitor's nest, and eventually arrived back at the overhanging cliff.

The cold wind, that originated from the Desolate Tundra of the North, whistled through the ravine. Although it would inevitably warm up during its journey here, currently the chilling nip still persisted.

As Nie Yan stood at the edge of the cliff, he stared at the dense forest canopy below.

The ravine was the central region of the Plague Canyon and also where Windletter Herbs, a primary ingredient required to manufacture Intermediate Anti-Paralysis Potions, grew in abundance. At the peak of its demand during Nie Yan's past life, this alchemy ingredient had sold for up to seventeen silver per plant. Moreover, since the mob density in the zone was relatively high and mostly consisted of Quilled Kobolds, a mob that was very slow and possessed no long range attacks, it became a favourite training ground among Mages who had reached Level 20.

The only inconvenience was that it was quite tedious to get to this zone. In order to do so, players would need to detour around a large mountain range. Usually, most players would set out on this journey by horseback. However, since Nie Yan didn't have a mount, who knew just how much time he would waste if he were to actually walk the entire distance. Thus, the best option available was to take a shortcut by jumping off this cliff.

Naturally, this was only possible thanks to the Featherfall Jewel's ability; otherwise, the fall would undoubtedly mean certain death.

Nie Yan finally jumped off the cliff.

The wind whistled past his ears as he rapidly descended into the ravine below.

Falling from several hundred meters high was still considerably exhilarating. After dropping over two hundred meters, his descending velocity was still constantly increasing. Soon, the air resistance made it difficult for him to keep his eyes open. As the ground drew closer and closer, he hastily activated the Featherfall Jewel's ability.

Almost immediately, his falling speed slowed down to a crawl. Nie Yan adjusted his position accordingly and searched for a suitable location to land at. Eventually, after finding an opening in the canopy, he safely came into contact with the ground.

Nie Yan didn't immediately take action but scanned the surrounding with his eyes instead. The area he landed in was a small meadow, roughly fifty meters in size, that thankfully happened to be beside the rock face.

This spot should be fine... Nie Yan thought. The topography in this meadow was quite suitable for his plan. He also quickly discovered many Windletter Herbs in the area. This was clearly an area that wasn't frequented by other players, as the plant was freely growing everywhere in his surroundings. Unfortunately, his Gathering skill hadn't yet reached the required level to harvest them.

Eventually, a Quilled Kobold wandered into the meadow. This monster was a bipedal, dumpy porcupine that only reached half a person's height. They wielded small wooden clubs studded with wolf teeth. Their backs were covered in sharp, ash gray quills, which provided them with an extremely strong physical defense, and even enabled them to reflect some damage. However, not only were they especially slow, they were also vulnerable to magic, which made them easy targets for Mages. This one for example, upon discovering Nie Yan's presence, emitted an odd, high-pitched squeak before charging straight at him.

Nie Yan instantly used Transcendent Insight to examine the Quilled Kobold.

Quilled Kobold: Level 23
Health: 1,300/1,300

A Level 23 Quilled Kobold's health and defense were both frighteningly high.

Nie Yan retrieved his crossbow and shot three bolts at the approaching Quilled Kobold.