Chapter 64 - Slow Death

「Whoosh! Whoosh! Whoosh!」Another three bolts pinned themselves on the Ogre Devourer, eliciting furious roars that brought over two normal Ogres.

Now this was a bit troubling. Nie Yan glimpsed at the Ogre Devourer’s health bar—only a third remained after thirty minutes. If he put aside this Sub-Elite monster to deal with the normal Ogres, its health would return to full, and his work would go to waste. Whatever! Finish it off first!

Nie Yan accelerated his rate of fire as the two normal Ogres joined into the battlefield. The pressure he felt rose precipitously.

There was no end to the three monsters’ pursuit. They made attempts to surround and kill him, but they underestimated his agility. He was as slippery as a loach; through the gaps between several large trees, he shot bolts that seemingly came from nowhere.

An enraged roar came from the Ogre Devourer’s throat, and it swung its enormous club at Nie Yan—but the swipe could not reach him. The two normal Ogres weren’t of any help to the Ogre Devourer either due to Nie Yan’s meticulous pathing. Not only that, they even became obstructions. Every time it attempted to move, there were two Ogres blocking its way like brainless pigs.

Nie Yan was unperturbed by his perilous surroundings. When he prepared to fire another round of bolts between the trees with one knee on the ground, the Ogre Devourer’s eyes suddenly emitted another dark-red light.

Shit, it’s Petrifying Gaze again!

Nie Yan put away his crossbow and rolled under the cover of the trees.

MISS!

Nie Yan now had a greater understanding of Petrifying Gaze after successfully avoiding the skill three times—he’d be able to dodge so long as he hid behind a tree when it started casting.

Before he even found his footing, however, a massive shadow loomed from above. One of the two Ogres had circled behind Nie Yan, avoiding his detection entirely, and its enormous club strewn with nails smashed down.

Nie Yan didn’t have the slightest thought of staying still; he threw himself forward, out of the club’s range of attack.

「Boom!」

The impact left a small pit and sent fragments of stone and dirt into the air.

Nie Yan had no issues imagining his fate if he had delayed by even a second.

The knockback effect from the Ogre's attack would have sent him flying.

Disastrous consequences would occur during the two seconds it’d take to travel through the air, fall to the ground, and climb back up.

Nie Yan regained his stability, but much to his surprise, he had been surrounded by the three Ogres during that time. With their clubs raised high into the air, the Ogre Devourer and two normal Ogres approached steadily.

I’m done for. It seems that this is the end of the line. Such an accident was beyond his expectations. He swept his gaze over the surroundings: his path had been completely sealed by several large trees and the three Ogres. There was no escape in sight.

The Ogre Devourer bellowed and a deafening roar reverberated through the forest. It raised its club, then slammed it down at Nie Yan.

Within the blink of an eye, a spiked club covered his entire field of view—he could even see the individual nails embedded in the wood. Nie Yan tried retreating; however, the two Ogres flanked him from behind. His situation couldn't be any direr and his heart felt like it was going to burst out his chest. In the brief moments before his seemingly imminent demise, he happened to notice the branches in the tree above.