Chapter 60 - Resplendent Bladelight

Nie Yan specifically chose this location after making certain the Lion King didn’t have any ranged attacks. Gato was the boss that resided at this cliff base, and Nie Yan recalled that there were at least ten other monsters like him. However, Gato happened to be the easiest one to deal with because it only knew physical attacks. Naturally, Nie Yan would choose to challenge the pushover over the others.

The Lion King tried every which way to get its claws on Nie Yan. However, as time elapsed, its health eventually fell below twenty percent, and it entered a berserk state. Its robust and muscular body, though weakened, suddenly filled with energy and unyieldingly pounced at Nie Yan. However, no matter how hard it struggled, all of its efforts were futile in the end.

Before another half hour even passed, its health bar fell empty. The Lion King raised its head to the sky and resentfully roared, unwilling to resign to its fate, before collapsing onto the earth.

Gato the Lion King, the boss that would be fought over by numerous players in the future, had its life ended just like that. Nie Yan hadn’t lost a single drop of health in the process of whittling it to death.

「Ding!」A clear melody rang into the air. He received eight hundred percent bonus experience for killing a monster that surpassed him in level. After hitting Level 5, his experience bar continued filling up and only stopped upon hitting thirty-six percent.

The Lion King had dropped two pieces of equipment. Both items lay sparkling on the ground beside Gato’s corpse.

Equipment dropped! Excitement arose within Nie Yan; however, he still couldn’t come down.

He could see ten or so Lions still roaming around in an area not far from Gato’s corpse. In order to retrieve the dropped items safely, he needed to clear them out first. Thus, he continued firing the crossbow until each Lion was shot to death.

Unlike other games, dropped items never disappeared after a certain amount of time. The game resembled real life as in items thrown on the ground would never just evaporate into thin air. As for items players didn’t need or couldn’t sell, they could be broken down into raw materials by the Recycler to recoup some of their value.

Seeing as there were no monsters left in the area, Nie Yan released the web line and dropped to the ground. After falling twenty meters, he only lost sixty health. This sort of height wasn’t enough to kill him with fall damage.

Nie Yan walked up to the Lion King’s side and collected the two pieces of equipment that dropped. Since both items were unappraised, he revealed their properties with Transcendent Insight.

Blackblood Cloak (Gold)
Requirements: Level 5
Properties: Defense 19–21, Resilience +5, Mov. Speed +6
Weight: 2 lb
Restrictions: Thief; can be equipped by all factions.

Lion King’s Shield (Gold)
Requirement: Level 5
Properties: Defense 39–51, Block Chance +12%, Resilience +5, Magic Resist +7
Weight: 10 lb
Restrictions: Fighter, Paladin; can be equipped by all factions.

Nie Yan felt quite satisfied when he saw that a piece of equipment from the Blackblood set had dropped, though he didn’t expect the Lion King’s Shield to drop as well. Its value was much higher than the Blackblood Cloak! To illustrate a point, if he brought it to the marketplace, he absolutely wouldn’t sell it for anything less than twenty silvers. In the best case scenario, he could exchange it for a couple pieces of Thief equipment.

The price for a Fighter’s shield remained high in the marketplace, always occupying the top positions in terms of price. Out of the ten most expensive pieces of equipment sold in the marketplace, eight were Fighter shields.