Chapter 187 - Paladin Kavana

Nie Yan really didn't want to form an irreconcilable enmity with Black Hell. He wanted to talk with the other player first, to avoid the use of force if possible. Regardless of how the talks went, however, he would definitely try to get the Chapter of Harmony by fair means or foul. After being merged into a single item, the six chapters in Volume I would be on par with a piece of Legendary-grade equipment. The importance of such an item to his future plans was absolutely critical. Better yet, the completed Volume I was bindable and would no longer drop if he died.

I'll wait and see, I guess. It's not like Black Hell can hide when I get hourly reports on his location. Nie Yan continued to pick off the Corrupted Silver Paladins. One by one, they died until the area around the first dark gold chest was completely clear of all monsters.

After killing so many Corrupted Silver Paladins from afar, Nie Yan recognized the need for a good ranged weapon. He still had his eye on the Sub Legendary Dullahan Cavalry Crossbow. Although it had a massive Strength requirement, he could meet it with the use of equipment and skills that boosted his Strength by the time he was around Level 70. Even if he could only equip it by the time he reached Level 80, it wouldn't be too late. He absolutely had to craft this crossbow!

Nie Yan broke off his reverie, looking at the Level 30 dark gold chest in front of him. Its level would have been a bit too high for him, were it not for Lockpicking Specialist's +1 level boost to unlocking chests.

Opening treasure chest... Estimated Completion: 3%... 7%... 5%... 9%...

It took over three minutes of unstable progress for Nie Yan to finally succeed in unlocking the chest.

You've unlocked a Dark Gold Chest! Lockpicking Specialist has gained 5 points of proficiency!

Five points of proficiency in Lockpicking Specialist? So many! Pleasantly surprised, Nie Yan opened the chest and took out a thick book and a piece of leather armour. He quickly appraised them to view their properties.

The book was jet-black with a bronze gilt around the edges. Ornate designs decorated the cover, along with some large text written in Ancient Common.

Skill Book: Hellfire (Hell Magic)

Description: Allows the user to manipulate fire from the depths of Hell to attack the opponent.

Requirements: 2 Sets of Gestures, 2 Sets of Syllables, Intermediate Arcane Talisman (Must be Inscribed)
150 Intelligence, 5 Focus, 5 Willpower (Forcefully casting this spell without meeting the necessary stat requirements will result in the player being put in a weakened state, reducing all stats by 80% for 2 days.)

Properties: An area-of-effect spell with a range of 30×30 meters. Increase Burn Damage. Residual Burn (Scales with Focus and Willpower above 5).

Cooldown: 2 Days.

Restrictions: Arcane Mage, Elementalist.

Hell Magic was just like Elemental Hall Magic, a higher class of spells. Anything conjured from one of these categories had far higher attack power than a common spell.

The great potency of these spells corresponded to their great usage requirements and cooldowns. Casting Hellfire required a significant amount of preparation. The player would have to find a seller and purchase an Intermediate Arcane Talisman. They'd need to spend an hour and two thousand mana inscribing Hellfire into the talisman. Furthermore, they'd often have to drink a potion to make sure they didn't run out of mana midway. Finally, two sets of syllables and gestures had to be performed before the spell could be cast. After which it would go on cooldown for two days, and the process would have to be repeated once more.