Chapter 70 - Natlan Marsh

Going by foot is too slow. How long will it take for me to start riding a horse? It’d be so much faster and more comfortable. However, Nie Yan knew it would actually take over two months for horses to become commonplace as a method of transportation. They were simply too expensive. At present, even the lousiest of breeds still cost upwards of ten gold. It just wasn’t worth it.

He retrieved a Basic Haste Scroll from his bag and crumpled it in his hand, activating it, before sprinting off towards Sulgata.

If there were players nearby, they would see a silhouette dashing across the open field and soon disappearing into the distance.

Half an hour later, he encountered a new area as the surroundings transitioned into a dark marshland. This location was far from town so very few players could be seen hunting here. Almost no one actively sought out this strange place inherently filled with danger. However, every so often, a rare bunch would decide to explore this marsh. Many of them were thrillseekers who happened to be high-level experts as well. On his journey here, he had encountered many such players travelling in groups.

Short stubby bushes flourished all over. A dense fog lingered in the air and blocked the sunlight from above. Once in a while, a cold wind blew past. The marsh left an eerie impression on those who came across it.

The earth was muddied and filled with basins of festering waters, where one would occasionally discover the corpse of some unlucky animal rotting inside. A slight rustle or movement periodically came from the shrubs as a few snake-type monsters slithered by. All sorts of hidden dangers lurked inside this dark marsh.

「System: You’ve discovered Natlan Marsh!」

I’m finally here. He examined the everlasting fog of the Natlan Marsh. Passing through this area will take a bit of effort.

He cautiously moved between the bushes, wary of the potential monsters lurking nearby. He did his best to evade their sights. However, after passing through a dense patch of shrubbery, his high Awareness warned him of impending danger.

「Rustle! Rustle! Rustle!」A large silhouette charged past the shrubs and pounced at him.

He instinctively dodge rolled and avoided the sudden attack, but not before getting a good look at the enemy’s appearance. It was a Marsh Monitor, a species of large lizards that roamed this map. The one that appeared was over two meters in length, and black speckled its dark green skin. Sharp protrusions grew from its head and tail; these protrusions along with its claws were covered in a viscous green poison which caused paralysis, and those unlucky enough to be struck by this poison would be unable to move for three seconds. It was the Marsh Monitor’s most dangerous weapon.

Ah, it’s these guys. He felt a bit apprehensive. Although these lizards had relatively low health and were quite frail, the consequences of being struck by their attacks were fatal.

In his previous life, an expert had once left some words of advice: Under no circumstances should you underestimate a monster, since even the weakest of Marsh Monitors were still capable of killing you.

At the lower levels, these lizards were the nemesis of all Mages and Thieves as these classes relied on their mobility to survive. In the event a Thief or Mage became paralyzed, these Marsh Monitors could freely rip them to shreds. Even heavy-armoured Fighters were susceptible to being killed by these lizards if they were careless.

Marsh Monitor: Level 6
Health: 360/360

The Marsh Monitor’s attack struck nothing but air as it fell back to the ground.「Crash!」Its heavyset body sent mud and water flying.