Chapter 166 - Intermediate Demon Hunter

As per his usual routine, Nie Yan took off the game helmet, went downstairs to the kitchen where he grabbed a tube of nutrition tonic, and then headed back to his room to start his morning workout. He had just begun walking up the stairs when he heard knocking on his front door.

Wondering who would come by so early in the morning, he went to answer the door, whereupon he was greeted by a pair of familiar faces. It was his mother and father!

His father very much resembled himself. Yet despite only being in his forties, his hair was already streaked with gray. He was dressed in a neatly pressed suit, but his broad shoulders and intimidating stature matched with his stern, clean-cut appearance easily gave away his military background. As for his mother... you could tell she had been quite beautiful in her younger years, but the ravages of time caused wrinkles to appear on the corners of her eyes. However, what had been lost with age was replaced with an elegance and grace that set her apart from those of the lower class, which explained why she was disliked by some of their extended family.

His parents were weary from travel, their faces ashen from fatigue. It appeared as if they hadn't gotten a good night's rest in weeks.

"Mom, Dad...!" Nie Yan's nose turned sour as tears began freely flowing from his eyes. Too many things had happened in his past life that had left him with more than just a few regrets. When he was finally able to see them again after so many years, he could no longer hold back the flood of emotions.

"Oh, Little Yan... I'm so sorry we left you all alone for so long without even calling!" His mother immediately embraced him, her voice stifled with emotion. They had been compelled by circumstances which had left them with no other choice. "But, we're finally back..."

"Mom, Dad... It's fine, I understand. You both came home safely, that's what matters the most..." Nie Yan replied, sounding all choked up. He was all too aware of the difficulties his parents had braved these past few months. After waking back up in the past, he was no longer that ignorant brat whose selfishness did nothing but cause them misery. Just being able to see them again left him feeling immensely grateful to the heavens.

"Little Yan, you've grown up! You're taller too..." his mother affectionately said.

"Mom, Dad, you both look like you haven't slept in days. Come in quickly so you can rest!"

His father normally wore a serious and unsmiling expression, but when he witnessed how much his son had matured, he couldn't help but gaze at him warmly.

"I told you, boys need to learn how to be independent. You coddle him too much. See, in the time we were away, our son has grown up." His father laughed heartily.

Nie Yan's father was a rigid man who rarely expressed his feelings which led to few words exchanged between father and son. As a result, he had felt distant from his father in the past. However, as he grew older, he came to understand that his father cared for him just as deeply as his mother, only that his love was shown differently.

When noon arrived, his mother was amazed to discover that her son had learned how to cook. The taste of the food was quite good too. It seemed he had indeed grown independent. He even seemed much more confident than before. She felt very gratified to be blessed with such a son.

As everyone enjoyed a peaceful meal, the warm feeling from having his parents back allowed Nie Yan to experience a happiness he hadn't felt in ages, causing a powerful desire to slowly well forth from deep within him. I must acquire enough power to protect my family!

"We should invite Ah Chen over to have a meal with us. He's really done us a favour," his mother suggested. The Ah Chen she spoke of was an older cousin from his father's side. Since childhood, he had always been close to their family. He had even accompanied Nie Yan's parents on their trip.