Chapter 65 - Crossbow of Blood

Nie Yan would have to wait until tomorrow for Gato the Lion King and the Ogre Devourer to respawn. As for leveling, his speed was already sufficiently quick so there was no need to grind normal monsters. With the time remaining, he could do some small businesses on the side.

The Ogre Devourer dropped a total of two items, both of which were rather decent.

Crossbow of Blood (Gold): Single-handed Crossbow
Requirements: Level 5
Properties: Attack +11, 10% Armour-piercing Effect, Triple-shot.
Shooting Speed: 16, Deviation 3%.
Restriction: None

Staff of Moonlight Worship (Gold)
Requirements: Level 5
Properties: Attack 32–38, Level Three Holy Explosion. 20% extra damage against demons.
Restriction: Holy Mages; can only be equipped by a member of the Righteous Faction.

Nie Yan had challenged the high-level Elites alone and had successfully defeated them despite the level gap. As such, the chances of receiving additional drops were multiplied and of course the system’s rewards were especially munificent. Nie Yan had acquired four pieces of Gold-tier equipment by now, and every single piece was extraordinary—the Crossbow of Blood particularly. It brought a great surprise to him; the ten percent armour-piercing effect was fairly decent.

When compared to such a substantially superior crossbow, the one in Nie Yan’s current possession was of such a poor quality that there was absolutely no need to hesitate in switching. When comparing goods, there would always be one inferior. The crossbow bought from the NPC had finished its quest. It had served him well, and its times of glory were now coming to an end.

Thus, Nie Yan equipped the Crossbow of Blood. As for the old one, it should still fetch some money on the auction. It had a price tag of thirty-seven copper coins when he bought it, so its resale value should be some dozen copper coins.

Nie Yan returned to Calore, having finished examining the new equipment he acquired. There were quite a few people within the city, but the vast majority of players had gone outside for leveling. The streets were bustling with people, many of whom were visiting Jaden’s shop, the high-level Alchemist, on the corner. All players who exhausted their stock of potions when leveling outside had to replenish their supply at that place.

The auction house that sat in the heart of the city teemed with an even greater number of people. On the nearby streets, many players laid out their booths and once in a while, some eye-catching items would appear.

Nie Yan entered the auction house and sold off equipment he no longer had any use for. He also continued buying all available Black Phenol Formulas, Black Phenol, and the ingredients required. He left nothing unbought. After the opening of the new instance tomorrow, many guilds would go and spearhead the investigation. They would discover, to their amazement, that all traces of the low-priced and relatively unknown Black Phenol had vanished. Alchemists would occasionally produce several bottles of Black Phenol, but they’d be bought before one even had time to blink. As for the Black Phenol Nie Yan collected… they became commodities worth being stockpiled. He could starve the marketplace and slowly rid himself of the Black Phenol and Black Phenol Formulas bit by bit, thus inflating the prices. The larger the development into the new instance, the greater the players’ need for Black Phenol, and the easier the prices would rise. He could start by first selling Black Phenol and its ingredients, then he’d sell the formula at the later stages. He could gather a large sum of wealth with a method like this. Other investment options would be considered only after earning the money since he had spent quite a sum purchasing Black Phenol.

As usual, Nie Yan went over to several small towns to collect Bat Teeth. He sold them off and earned thirty or so silver coins. He even bought most of the Bat Teeth on the marketplace, and he was now waiting for players to continue grinding. When they came by more Bat Teeth, he would return.