Chapter 30 - Search for the Chapter of Courage

The Book of Order truly was an item of immense temptation. And now, in his new life, Nie Yan had the chance to gather all six chapters of the first volume. There was only one problem, he didn’t know if he could.

Nie Yan knew the whereabouts of the six chapters in the first volume quite clearly. As for the other thirty chapters that were scattered across the world, he roughly knew most of their locations! The one he was currently searching for was the third chapter of the Book of Order—the Chapter of Courage.

“What are we going to do when we get further in?”

“Just follow me to the end of the cave. After that you can head back and continue training. The place I’m planning to go to is somewhere you’re not capable of reaching,” Nie Yan replied. His destination would be somewhat difficult to reach even for a Thief like himself. Thus, there was no need to consider an Arcane Mage like Tang Yao.

“Is it dangerous?” Tang Yao curiously asked.

“Yes, very.” Nie Yan nodded and replied.

“If it’s that dangerous, then why do you want to go there?” Tang Yao asked while deep in confusion.

“There’s a certain item there I want to retrieve.” Nie Yan laughed as he responded. The game had just recently come out, and players like Tang Yao wouldn’t know just how alluring a single chapter from the Book of Order was.

“I see.” Tang Yao slowly nodded his head. He still didn’t understand why Nie Yan wanted to go despite being aware of the danger. However, it seemed Nie Yan already had a plan, so he didn’t inquire any further.

After finishing their conversation, the two headed deeper into the cave. The passages were extremely narrow, which massively reduced Meteor’s effectiveness. As a result, the two had to resort to using ordinary methods to clear the way as they slowly advanced.

Rock Spiders fell one after another. Under Nie Yan’s guidance, Tang Yao felt his skills improve significantly.

“You’re making rapid progress. Keep practicing like this and you’ll find yourself becoming an expert in no time. Oh yeah, since we’ll be heading to a dungeon tomorrow, let me give you a rundown on a few of the basics. The key aspects are aggro management and positioning. The dungeon we’re running tomorrow is going to be a bit difficult, so it’s best that you take caution, especially since we’re dealing with the Treant King,” Nie Yan said while facing Tang Yao. He went on and passed down all his knowledge regarding Arcane Mages and dungeoneering to Tang Yao. From time to time, he would also explain a few of the key parts of Treant Forest.

Tang Yao keenly listened to every word he said. Before meeting Nie Yan, he could’ve been considered an average player. Neither his skills nor his equipment would’ve been considered anything special. In the end, he could only continue lagging behind others in the lower levels. But right now he was wearing the Fire Chaser Set, which meant that his equipment was among the very best. Not only did this great success make him feel self-conscious, but it also put an immense pressure on him. In order to live up to his own expectations, Tang Yao began to work as hard as an actual expert would. In truth, Tang Yao’s aptitude was pretty decent. Though it couldn’t be considered at the apex, he would still be considered quite skilled. After receiving Nie Yan’s pointers, however, he completely transformed. Even if he wasn’t regarded as an expert, in respect to his skills, it was evident that he knew how to improve.

“What else do I have to take note of?”

“The most important stats for an Arcane Mage are Intelligence, Awareness, and Focus. Among these three, Intelligence is the primary stat and undoubtedly the most important. Now this leaves the remaining two, Awareness and Focus, which are auxiliary stats. Awareness improves your survivability when confronting enemies that are able to stealth, whereas Focus makes it harder for your spells to be interrupted. Hence these two stats are extremely important as well. You can’t improve auxiliary stats by leveling up, thus you must rely on passive skills to improve them. So if you want to keep up with others, make sure to possess the relevant passive skills. By the way, if you see any suitable skill books in the future and want to buy them but lack the money, let me know. I’ll help you pay for them,” Nie Yan said.