Chapter 83 - Expressing Goodwill

Skeleton Executioner (Sub-Elite): Level 13
Health: 1200/1200

These Skeleton Executioners had even more health than Dark Gladiator, not to mention they were quite numerous as well.

However, the caveat was once they were killed, they would never respawn again. Although he had visited Sulgata in the original timeline, these Skeleton Executioners had long been exterminated. Presumably, they were placed there for the sole purpose of guarding and preventing intruders from stealing the piece of Sulgata’s Shadow. Even though he knew a group of players had retrieved the piece from this city in the past, he wasn’t aware of the price they had to pay to do so.

He could imagine the bitter struggles those players must have gone through as he observed the Skeleton Executioners roaming this area.

“I didn’t expect there to be so many Sub-Elites…” Nie Yan muttered under his breath as his brows furrowed. However, thinking it over, it made sense that a Legendary-grade item such as Sulgata’s Shadow would have the protection of many strong monsters, even if just a single piece.

He calmly observed the area’s topography to determine if it was possible to make a detour. Unfortunately, the area was too open, meaning he would be spotted as soon as he showed himself. As for any cover he could make use of, he spotted a lone pillar standing in the distance—something far from being adequate.

Another possible method was to have Dark Gladiator lead the Skeleton Executioners away, giving him an opportunity to sneak in; however, he felt uneasy facing the hidden dangers that might lurk within the pyramid with no help accompanying him. Sacrificing Dark Gladiator simply wasn’t worth the risk.

He retreated for now and pondered over the matter while farming the weaker undead mobs in the vicinity.

Is it possible to turn the Skeleton Executioners into servants?

Nie Yan ordered Dark Gladiator to retreat inside the outer district and remain on standby. He jumped onto the outer district’s border walls and retrieved the Crossbow of Blood from his inventory, then aligned the sight on the Skeleton Executioners.

“Fifty-two meters, too far… Fifty meters, still too far…” Just as he was about to leave to find a more suitable position, a lone Skeleton Executioner started moving towards him, drawing progressively close.

Perfect! Nie Yan pulled the trigger.「Whoosh! Whoosh! Whoosh!」Three bolts pierced the air and successively struck their target.

The cyan flames in the Skeleton Executioner’s eye sockets flickered as it tilted its head and locked its gaze onto the aggressor positioned atop the wall. It immediately brandished its gigantic axe and charged at Nie Yan.

The Skeleton Executioner emitted an odd roar that resembled the grinding of a bulldozer, swinging its axe wildly as it lumbered over.

The commotion also caused the nearby thirty-plus Skeleton Executioners to come forward.

Seeing the Skeleton Executioner about to smash the wall with its gigantic axe, Nie Yan jumped off the wall and withdrew at the last possible moment.

「Boom!」The large axe struck the eroded wall, breaking it as if it were rotten wood and bringing down large chunks of stone.「Boom! Boom! Boom!」Several dozen thunderous strikes followed the first, and the walls rapidly collapsed, allowing the Skeleton Executioners to enter the outer district.

Nie Yan ran backwards, his eyes remaining fixed on the crumbling wall as he avoided the flying debris. He found a suitable opening and cast Undead Rite, which took away thirty percent of his health in an instant.