Chapter 22

Lola's POV

The school bell finally rang through the entire school building for break period, and I felt my heart skip a beat as fear engulfed me. I also felt the shudder Jace made and knew that he was also afraid of what would be his fate for standing by me.

The teacher immediately picked up her instruments and walked out of the class, causing me to shut my eyes and swallow hard as I feared looking sideways to avoid the stares of the students.

"Did you really save a vampire?" Jace asked me at that moment, and I tilted my head towards him, letting my eyes fall on those eyes, which were filled with pity and sadness.

I opened my mouth to talk, but could only gasp as I feared spitting the truth. I was never good at lying, and it was also useless to deny what everyone would eventually know.

He saw the fear in my eyes and sighed, looking away while I caught a glimpse of the wetness in his eyes.

"No need to lie! Tell me the truth. Did you save a vampire, and if you did, why? What exactly could make a hunter's daughter do such?" He asked with a trace of disappointment in his tone, which was slightly gruffy at the moment.

"Yes, I... did it. I saved him out of pity and nothing else..." My voice was shaking as I replied to this. My heart was racing at the thought that I was lying to say it was sheer pity. I knew what my heart felt. Yes, it was a mere pity, but something beyond that.

It can be called "love at first sight," but I am freaking afraid to accept that. Because there was no reason to fall in love with a vampire at first sight and make such a sacrifice for him.

"Do you think he is your second chance, mate?" Jace let out that question, and it seemed to sink deep in me, creating a chilling effect that swept through my entire body, like I had been poured a cold water. Goosebumps found their way all over my skin while my brain seemed to run wild at the thought of that statement.

This was the only thing that could explain the tension that was created between Blake and I. The way his scent, voice, and smile captured my heart is something beyond ordinary pity. It was drawing me close to him like a magnet, and I really lost my mind.

Jace had just mentioned what could be a hidden truth. But how? How the hell would I be mated to a vampire?

I raised my gaze to his face, and just then, he started to say something, but clamped his lips and gritted his teeth instantly. Fear oozed through his eyes as he shifted his gaze away from my face, looking behind.

I was a bit confused, but just then, that earthy smell like the forest after rain fell hit my nostrils and made my blood run cold as it dawned on me that Torian was behind me. His smell, which should be a soothing balm to my soul, one that should bring a smile to my face and make me crave more of it, is now a terror to my heart.

"Torian don't!!!" That was the next thing I heard from Jace before a heavy punch struck my head, forcing me down to the ground with a loud thud.

The pain from the punch made my head pound so hard that I thought my skull was broken. The headache I felt was like a wreak to my head, causing me to cry as hot tears seared my eyes with my hands clenched over my head to soothe the pain, which seemed to be so much for me to bear.

There was an uproar of mocking laughter and jeering from every student in the class as they gathered around me. This made me wish the ground would open and swallow me. I clenched my jaw to prevent myself from crying further, as I was feeling ashamed. But it became so hard to bear when Bella squatted next to me with three of her friends.

I also saw my friends sneering at me. The girls who had adored and treated me well, begged to be my friends so they could be close to Torian. They all gathered around me, their faces contorted in disgust.

I caught a glimpse of Torian and Jace exchanging words at that moment, with those friends of Torian's at the birthday hurling insults at Jace too. They were also daring him to fight with a push on his chest.

"I don't care about any friendship or Beta! Torian, you aren't in your right senses to fall in love with her this stupidly. Lola deserves to be the luna! Stop being a fool!!" I overheard Jace yelling at Torian, and that got my eyes teary immediately.

I felt so sad. For real, he was really ready to cut off the friendship and Beta's position to protect me.

Just then, a sharp slap landed across my left cheek at that moment, drifting my gaze away from Jace and bringing me back to my reality. The reality was that I was on the floor while the students all gathered around me. Another slap lashed my left cheek. It was the same place where the first one had landed, and that made my cheek turn pure red and hot, like it had been placed on fire. Bella was the girl slapping me.

"Smelly pig, what have you done to yourself?" She smirked and took out a napkin, which she used to clean her hands like I was a piece of dirt. I rose from the floor, fuming at her as anger and pain swept through me.

"How dare you slap me?" I growled, but my voice failed me as a bad odour oozed from my left armpit, which I had raised to rub my cheek, sending more sadness to my heart as I recalled I hadn't taken a proper bath.

They all pinched their noses, staring at me in disgust.

"You smell like a rotten egg!" Bella scoffed and did the last thing I expected. She spat on me right in my face, causing rage to fill me to the brim as I growled and attempted to shift into my wolf. I couldn't bear it any longer as the liquid slurped down my cheeks.

You should all beat her up and treat her however you want! She is not my mate! Stop having pity on her! She should be punished severely for saving a vampire" I heard Torian's voice at that moment, and my eyes widened in shock and horror.

"How could you save a vampire!" That was the next thing I heard from different voices around me before raw eggs broke up on my head, smearing my face and clothes. I spun and saw almost everyone in the class moving towards me.

"You planned to kill Torian by helping the vampire! What a wicked soul!" They jeered, and before I could find the right words to say, powerful punches and slaps went across my face, blinding my vision for a minute.

I plopped to the ground and a bucket of water was poured on me, drenching my entire body. What followed were kicks on both my belly and head.

I was in immeasurable pain with immense sadness. Every joint in my bones seemed to be cracking at their hits.

"Let's rape her!" I heard the last words that took away my breath.

Jace's POV.

My whole body shook in extreme rage as I saw the students beating Lola and pouring all sorts of dirt on her like she was an animal.

"You all should stop!!" I thundered and attempted to rush at them when Don caught hold of the collar of my shirt. The force made it tear a bit, and that really made me mad, as I gave him a very heavy punch with my werewolf ability, flinging him so hard to the wall that it cracked a bit. He fell and couldn't move, but I cared less about that and spun to save Lola, who the male students were dragging away.

Three arms held me and I saw they were my friends, those same friends I had partied with at Torian's birthday.

"Stop disgracing us! Leave that dirty pig!" They all huffed as they dragged me back.

"Rape her and make the video; it needs to go viral!" My ears caught that statement, which had dropped from Bella's lips, and that left my eyes popped as my heart panged.

The boys dragging her away want to rape her.

"Get off of me!" I thundered and flung them away with all the strength I had. They all found themselves flying away from me as I dashed to the door.

I'll not only save Lola but also kill those men who dared try to rape her.

I got out of the classroom and saw the male students still dragging her along the hallways, about to divert into a room. With an intense rage in my heart, I sped towards them, but just then, someone held my legs and drew me back, making me fail to get hold of the guys before they entered the room.

Fuck!!!

I turned in extreme anger and saw the grip was from Sophia, whose lips were curled into a smirk as she stared into my eyes.

"I won't allow you to save her," she stated with a shrug.