Chapter 60

She was walking toward us with a smile that looked peaceful and lovely, yet it was deceitful in my eyes. My heart was racing with every part of me shaking, even as I tried to compose myself. My fear was what next would be her action, as it can't be read from her face.

I glanced at Blake and saw the same fear in his eyes mixed with readiness. His fists were already clenched as he also pinned his eyes on his mother. I knew at the moment, he wouldn't hesitate to strike at her if she ever tried to hurt me. He wouldn't let her or anyone hurt me again, which was nice of him, but I was feeling nothing but deep sadness.

I shouldn't have said that secret rashly while knowing that the walls had ears. There are many secret places to say it out, but I foolishly blurted it out, and that will mark the end of this romance we thought was about to blossom.

It was clear I might end up leaving this place again and going into hiding, which was what kept piercing my heart like a spear.

She finally got close, and every smile on her face vanished instantly as she trailed her eyes from me to Blake, her son. Both eyebrows arched in what seemed like confusion.

"Why are you both staring at me that way? What happened?" She inquired, drawing close to me, which made my feet stumble back in fear that she was about to attack me. Blake was also quick to advance, studying every one of her movements so as to know when to defend me.

"Jeez! You are suddenly scared of me?!" She gasped and darted her eyes towards Blake.

"She is afraid of me just now! Blake, what did you tell her? Why is she so frightened of me just after spending time with you in the bathroom!" Her tone was raised this time, and she looked so angry.

"I told her nothing. Stop the pretense and....."

"Blake!" I called out sharply, stopping him from saying any other thing, as I began to feel sceptical about my discovery. The woman right here doesn't in any way look like she was pretending. And there is equally no reason why she would pretend when she is the queen here.

She won't hesitate to get me killed if she ever finds out I was a wolf, just as she did before.

"Don't hush me, I...."

"What is going on here?" Blake's mother grimaced as she kept shifting her gaze between me and Blake, to and fro with a befuddled gawp.

I was about to say something when a maid stepped out of the dungeon route, scurrying forward like she was being chased.

"Hey!" I called for her, but there was no reply as she bowed to us and took her leave. Her vampire smell was exactly the same and, just as I had traced, she had just come out of that dungeon. So she is the one!

"Who is she?" I asked with a gulp, as it really dawned on me that she must have been the one who heard my secret. And again, why did she just ignore my call?

"She is the deaf dungeon cleaner. She can't hear you. That's why when you called her she ignored you, "Blake explained, and a heavy sigh of relief escaped my lips.

That smile that couldn't appear on my face came in as I felt like a fresh breath of life had just spread inside me. I had been scared for nothing. She was at the door of the room, but heard nothing.

"Blake and Nina, what prank are you both playing on me just now?!" Angelina, Blake's mother, half-yelled, stamping her feet on the ground, and just immediately, I burst into laughter and winked at Blake. Luckily, he was wise enough to join me in laughing.

"We got you!!" I chirped and hugged her tight, forcing her to join in the laughter, but not after smacking Blake's head and pinching my cheeks softly.

"You were scared, huh?" I giggled, and she nodded with giggles, taking our hands.