Chapter 27

I couldn't understand what I was hearing and would never have believed it if I hadn't heard it myself. It is so shocking to hear this, and I wish it weren't true. How would the Vampire Prince enter the werewolf boundary, and not only that, but he was going to start schooling here under another identity, which I don't need a soothsayer to tell me, he has a deadly plan.

My parents always told me horrific stories about vampires. All the evil they had done to the werewolves in the past and how each of them killed the other without hesitation. It was so clear that deep-rooted hatred created a like between us and the vampires. 

Hearing him force Jace to get him enrolled here really made me shake in fear. Now I know what killed all these students here in the school garden. The vampire prince had done this. 

"What are you doing here?" That was the next thing I heard before cringing so badly that my legs lost their balance and I found myself falling heavily on the ground with a loud thud, hitting my butt so hard that I thought the bones in it had broken. I looked up in fear, thinking it was the vampire prince, since I couldn't even recognize the voice due to how lost I was in thought.

A heavy sigh of relief escaped my lips as I saw it was Jace. At least I won't be killed. If the vampire prince came out here and saw me eavesdropping, there is no way he would ever spare my life. Since he was hiding his true identity, he was surely going to kill me.

"I asked you a question. What are you doing here?" Jace asked again, his eyes narrowing at me as he stared intently at me.

"Is he gone?" I mumbled under my breath, feeling my heart thump so fast while my eyes roamed in fear. My question made him cringe as his eyes flew wide, his jaw dropping as he peered at me.

"Who?" He asked, breathing roughly as his eyes filled up with guilt.

"What do you mean? I heard his voice. I heard all that he said to you! Has he left?" I queried, fluttering my eyes, still shivering as I thought of the reality of the vampire prince, rumoured to be a devil in human form coming over to the werewolf pack.

"He is gone. We have to leave here before the security comes in and sees us. We would be questioned over their death!" Jace sighed as he gestured at the lifeless bodies around him.

"Who killed them?" I asked, as tears gathered in my eyes.

"Blake the Vampire Prince did it. To prevent anyone from knowing he came here, he slaughtered all of them and spared me." Jace explained as his misty eyes and brows wet up with unshedded tears. 

"He spared you, so you will work out his enrollment. He must be planning to kill us all!" I screeched in horror, biting my lips to stop myself from crying.

The brutal assassination of the students here is an eyesore, showing how heartless the Vampire Prince is. Now I don't have any idea why he wants to get into this school, but I need no diviner to know it is something worse. Something that would cause havoc and death. 

That was all the vampire craved: to cause us terror and pain all day.

"I don't know if that's the reason. He almost killed me when I fought back at him, but just when he was about to pluck my heart, he stopped, looking straight into my face. It seemed like he recognized my face from somewhere or whatever" Jace hissed and tugged at his hair in rage and frustration.

"I can't believe I will cause more death! I will be the one to bring calamity into this pack by giving him a new identity and getting him into this school as a student. I think I should die in his hand rather than do that!" He added in an agonizing tone that really struck my heart with sadness.

He turned his gaze on me and looked away.

"Don't even think of that. Help him in. We will find a way to counter his attack, but you shouldn't disobey him and get yourself killed!" I shrieked, moving closer to him, but he took several steps backward, wagging his head.

"Don't come close to me. I am a monster! I'm more wicked and heartless than Torian or anyone out there! I accepted to work out his enrollment and get him here. He will kill more people as he did here!" He hissed in sadness and began to walk away with his head bowed.

"We can set him up!" I suggested, as soon as we got out of the garden and that made him pause his pace and spun to me with both eyes brightened in amazement.

"Yes, you are right. He can't kill all our warriors, no matter how powerful he is. Let's leave here quickly. The dead students will be discovered soon, and if they come across us, how will we explain who killed the students and how we are the only ones alive? We might be suspected of being an accomplice to the killer too!" Jace chirped and at the same time took my hand gently.

I felt my whole body shiver under his touch. His palm was so soft and tender. The way he locked it with mine made my heart race, my breath hitching as I kept gasping in excitement.

We began to run, and I felt like I was floating in the air when the other students saw us. They were all staring in shock, which made me feel like I owned the world. Did Jace really care for me?

We got to the class and, at the same time, the school bell rang for break over. 

"You have your seat!" He sneered at me the moment I tried to sit with him, and that made me sad again.

"Yes, but I want to sit with you." I sulked.

"Lola sits here, so stop acting like you don't know!" He shrugged, sitting and looking away, as if he was avoiding my eyes.