Chapter 44

Jace's POV

I finally opened my eyes and regretted it. For the first time in my life, I was extremely angry at waking up. The pain that coursed through me was unspeakable and so unbearable that my mind was hazed and every part of me numb as hot tears seared my eye sockets, pouring down profusely.

The room was pitch black with no single source of light, making me wonder where I was. My first attempt to move my hands made me scream sharply as my skin seemed to be tearing. My brain quickly made a calculation and it dawned on me that I was tied so tightly to the chair I was sitting on.

What I don't understand is why my whole body seemed like it was on fire. The pain wasn't reduced for at least a second, instead it seemed to be hiking and striking deeper into me. The more I clench my teeth and try not to cry, the more the pain goes deeper, like it was cutting every single organ in me.

"Somebody help!!" My lips broke apart. The scream echoed around the room and hit back at me as everywhere sounded distant and empty.

The intense pain made my brain so hazy that I found it hard to recall how I ended up here. The last thing I could remember was being taken away from the school after Blake left with Lola. They had all blamed me and termed me a betrayer, all because I claimed that Blake was my long-time friend.

It hurts so much to be accused of something you have no control over. If I had refused to help Blake into the school, he would have killed me. I never knew he was the same vampire Lola saved.

"Agghhh," a deep groan escaped my lips once more as sharp pain surged through me, threatening to take my life.Breathing was so hard that I had to struggle to inhale. Whatever was injected into me must have been very brutal. It seemed to be eating me slowly.

I was going to die if it continued, and unfortunately, it seemed like whoever did this to me wanted me dead because no one was coming into the room.

My eyes closed by themselves while I sobbed, crying like never before while my body kept getting consumed more by stinging and burning sensations, which was too painful to bear.

I was losing my mind; I was losing my entire strength. Now I hope to die quickly. The strength to scream was gone. I sagged my head in misery.

Just then, the door of the room creaked and a bright light spread in through the door, forcing me to look up in a reflex action which I actually regretted as it made my head bang so hard that I thought my skull would crack open.

My gaze was at the door now, but my vision had actually failed me as everything appeared entirely blurred. I could only see manly figures stepping in with their boots hitting the ground heavily.

"Please save me from....this... pain. Please, Torian or anyone. I am innocent." I begged as another wave of heart wrenching pain struck me from head to toe.

"Or rather.... kill me. Kill me and end it all. Why making me pass through all this?" I grunted, groaning and shaking so hard.

"The alpha will decide your fate. I just gave you my punishment for disobeying me" I heard Torian's voice growl into my head in the most hateful way.

I shut my teary eyes and opened them again. This time my vision was clearer and I could see his smirk, his lopsided smile of victory while watching me groan deeply in misery.

"Torian, you did this to me?" I fumbled as I found it hard to move my lips.

"Death awaits you." Just say your last prayer... and guess what? Your mate will be tortured and killed in front of you first before you finally die" he smirked and let out a wild laugh before walking away just before I could say any other thing.

"Who will release me from this pain? I am dying!" I screeched in a pleading tone while forcing myself to breath as I felt thick blood trickle down my nose and mouth.

Does it just mean that Torian has lost his mind and turned into a beast? He was leaving without giving me the antidote to whatever poison he injected into me. How does he think I will survive the next few minutes?

"You want me dead for real?" I yelled as my entire body shook violently while watching Torian ignore my first scream, reaching for the door handle with his guards following from behind.

He paused and turned to me with a smirk.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you. Death is far from you. Enjoy the pain while it last" he smirked and let out a shrug before the door jammed shut after they stepped out.

Once again, I am wallowing in the darkness, consumed by this overwhelming pain.

"I am dying!!" My wolf, who had always stayed silent, cried out, and it was like my heart was stabbed multiple times as I felt the greatest agony in me.

"I'm so sorry..." That was the only thing I could say before the door was opened again.

I looked up and there was Torian again. This time he was with Sophia and five guards.

"Untie and bring him to the Alpha." Torian ordered, and the guard hurriedly came at me.

Torian's POV

Jace was looking at me with wet, weak eyes, shaking lips, and heavy breath as the pain kept hitting hard at him, yet I felt nothing like pity towards him.

I felt excited at his miserable state. His pain was making me feel a sense of victory and satisfaction. The poison in his body was a mixture of wolfsbane and silver, which caused serious internal injuries.

One thing I don't understand is how I got this coldhearted, but each time I try to think about it, I get confused. The hatred that grew in me toward Lola, my mate, was beyond my understanding. I just hated her for no actual reason, and now the same hatred feelings have erupted toward Jace, my childhood friend.

It started as a joke, but now I want him dead. I hate his breath and every single thing about him. I don't know if my reason for hating him was because he stood by Lola or if there was something else.

"Torian, come back to your senses!" I overheard his screams echoing at me while the guard dragged him out.

I cringed a bit as those words resonated inside me. It left me thinking deeply if something was really wrong with me. Was I really out of my mind? This is Jace, my future Beta and best friend from childhood.

We did things together and were unbreakable. Now I was the one torturing him.

"What are you thinking about?" Sophia asked me at that moment, and it made me cringe as her voice came suddenly.

"Nothing actually.." I lied, framing a stupid smile.

"Better be..." You have only until tomorrow to ask your father about his source of power. Ask him to tell you as his son. Whatever he says to you, transfer the message to me through mind link immediately." She snapped, and I had no hesitation in nodding while smiling sheepishly.

Nothing else was on my mind that moment than to do all she said.

I looked straight into her eyes end felt like something was shooting out from it. I was feeling so drawn and manipulated. Why I can't say no to her was giving me chills and I was totally confused.

Now she badly wants the sources of my father's powers and I can't resist her offer. I love her, but I can't just tell why I won't even ask her why she needed to know about his powers so badly. I am afraid she might get vexed.

Is this normal?