Chapter 42

Lola's POV

There was an absolute silence that filled the atmosphere as we both sat down right there across the boundary. Blake seemed lost as his face got buried in his palm. All I could hear was his heavy breath and a silent grunt.

I had a lot of questions to ask him, but I already know he has no answer to them and must be contemplating it now. It wasn't about taking me away right now; it was about where I would go next. No one ever thought of a moment like this while speeding away from my pack.

We had succeeded in escaping the ambush of the pack hunters. Yes, we left before they came, but does it all make sense? I am not safe here either. As much as I wanted to know what step Blake would take next, I still knew he couldn't do much. This must be why he is lost in thought here and now.

"They are coming..." His deep and caring voice spoke out all of a sudden while he pulled his head up quickly, spinning his full gaze at me.

My eyes widened in shock while I flinched in fright, knowing instantly what he meant. The vampire clan hunters are coming. They had smelt my scent, which was against the vampire community and would always trigger alertness.

"The hunters are coming. What... what... should I do now? Should I run back to my pack? Maybe they will have a bit of mercy and let me live again" I muffled, sniffing my tears as my eyes brimmed with tears, making my vision blurred.

I was literally shaking in horror at the moment, wondering what to do. Vampires are vicious and coldhearted, I am not safe! And the fact that Blake looked hopeless made my heart clench so hard it felt like it would burst open soon.

"You are not going anywhere. Your pack will kill you at first glance, I am sure of that!" He sighed and took my trembling palms into his.

The warmth spread from my palm to my entire body. His green pair of eyes were peering into mine as he blinked and gave me a reassuring smile.

"You saved me from your pack hunters. I will save you from mine too. Just know this: anything I do or say doesn't matter. I am doing it all to save you. My love for you can never be reduced a bit. I'd rather die than watch you being killed. This is the first promise I ever made to a lady and my life is bound to it."

Those words came out of his lips slowly and gently but with a strong aura and tone. His eyes were wet already, glistening like the river under the bright moon. Those stormy eyes were calm and beautiful as he talked to me with all the sincerity a tone could have.

I couldn't tell when I smiled.

"You will be my personal slave. Yes, my mother has no idea you have broken the spell. I have to treat you harsh...I...."

His voice seized at that instant, and those smiles vanished, replaced with a stern expression and a distant look.

At that moment, he rose and grabbed my hair, not minding my screech as pain struck in again. The wounds from Torian's tortures were yet to heal.

"Blake, why..." I clamped my lips immediately as twenty hefty men bolted with a speed that matched the wind as their strong and reeking vampire smell hit my nostrils.

Blake released his grip on my hair after hearing my scream of pain, but he quickly clutched the top part of my dress.

"My prince, permit us to end her life instantly. We are deeply sorry for arriving late, which made you pick up the task meant for us. Please punish us after we shred her body into tiny pieces and offer her heart to you." I heard one of them say, forcing a rush of shivers to run through me. Those words were brutal, but he was saying them like they were nothing.