Chapter 48

Bella's pov

My eyes fluttered and opened with a deep groan of pain escaping my lips. My entire back seemed to be on fire. Every part was stinging like there were countless needles pinned inside them.

Hot tears brimmed my eyes and fell on both sides of my face as I was looking up to the ceiling. I roamed my eyes and looked around, but everywhere was too blurred and strange for my head to understand.

I had to rack my brain to recall where I was, and even that made my head ache so badly that I thought my skull would crack open.

I was lying on a bed, and the room seemed kind of white all over. The scent of herbs and medicinal tools diffused through every corner of the room, causing me to sneeze as I hated the smell so badly.

The sharp pain around my back made my memories flash back to that moment I was flogged like a non living thing. A torture that struck the deepest part of my heart, piercing it deeply with unbearable pain.

I never knew there was a group of people as wicked as the Alpha of this pack and his colleagues. My cries were nothing. Even when I was gasping for breath and panting like I would die the next minute, they didn't care at all and kept flogging. All my pleas were useless as they didn't seem to be entering anyone's ears.

I shut my eyes and opened them again. This time, my vision was clearer and I could see the room I was in. It was a clinic. My back was all covered with bandages, yet it still hurts. Only God knows how they tended my wounds.

A few hours ago, I experienced the most agonizing experience of my life. I actually faced death and was overwhelmed with its consuming force, which was dragging my life away from me. The struggle to survive was so tough that I lost hope.

The pain I went through was so excruciating that it was beyond my power to bear. I was almost at the point of taking my last breath before Jace came to my rescue.

I heard a creaky sound, which drifted me back to reality. The door opened at that moment, and in fear, I quickly spun my head in the direction of the door. I saw my parents rushing in, while Jace was walking slowly. My mother was already in tears as she hurriedly sat beside me, checking my back as she cried more.

"What happened?"

"Why will they beat you to this extent?"

"Who did you offend?" The Alpha?"

"How are you feeling?"

" We almost died yesterday when we didn't see you return from school at the time you usually return."

"Why did they want to kill my daughter for me?!"

"What wrong have you done to this pack?"

Those were the words and more that kept pouring out and filling my ears, making me emotional. Both my father and mother were really hurt to see me in such a condition, but it didn't seem to be close to that which I saw in Jace's eyes.

I wasn't looking at my parents this time. My eyes were fixed on Jace, the young man who had captured my heart and showed me what true love was and made me feel it in a unique way.

He was standing some distance away, leaning against the wall with his face drawn and both eyes dim in pain. Both of his hands were dipped inside his pocket while he stared at me without saying a word. He was saying nothing, but his eyes said it all, as they glinted in pure sadness, watching me.

"He caused all this, right?" My Dad bellowed, pointing at Jace, and before I could reply, Jace responded with those words that made me cry. His voice showed his pain, too obvious to be ignored.