Chapter 49

Bella's POV

My heart sank into my chest as I stared at Jace with my eyes widened. Every part of me was shaking vehemently with hot tears brimming in my eyes. I had no strength to rush forward and stop him from rejecting me, and even as I saw him pull out that solver knife, I still tried to convince myself that he was not going to do it.

Jace can't reject me. He loves me so much and is ready to make any sacrifice to ensure that I am happy. Yes, that was what he told me.

"I am really sorry, Bella. After I am done, please don't stress your parents and leave. In a short period, my memory will leave your head and you won't remember I existed. That will help you find the right mate for yourself, because I am not the one" He muffled, swallowing hard and sniffing back the tears rolling endlessly down from his eyes to his cheeks.

"You are not... doing this for real! I can never believe you would reject me. Go on with your prank, love " I beamed even in sadness, waiting for him to smile back and tell me that I didn't fall for the prank, but none of that happened. Instead, he was bringing the knife closer to the side of his palm.

In the werewolf world, rejection is the most painful thing your mate can ever do to you, but it becomes more terrifying when he cuts his palm with a silver knife just after rejecting you.

Doing that will break every single bond between the two of you. Even if you refused to accept the rejection, it would still severe every string and the both of you would never feel anything for each other again.

Although you can recall his face, you can never remember being in love with him or any past that relates to love. It could really be a good idea for two mates who want to depart forever, but the implication was that the rejector would go insane after two weeks.

All this was what my grandmother had told me one night under the full moon, and I could vividly remember how I resisted such a fate for myself. I was that girl who admired mates and how they paired, fell deeply in love with each other and bore kids. I wish that for myself every single moment of my life.

What the hell is happening to me now?

Like, is all this for real? My mate is performing that same ritual to detach me from him.

"I, Jace Crown, reject you, Bella Hawkins, as my....

"No!!!!!!!" I screamed and ran to shut him up, but my parents seemed to foresee my actions and caught me before I could reach for him. They stopped before I could slap away those words from Jace's lips. I was so weak from the wounds in my back region, which were healing slowly, so I couldn't fight back at my parents.

They succeeded in holding me back.

"Jace, please I beg you to stop. I beg you to stop this! What if you survived and stayed alive?" I cried, and he let out a weak smile.

"It is impossible. Everyone hates me deeply now, and across the entire community, I have been announced as a betrayal for helping a vampire to get into this pack. It is a good enough reason to get me killed. There is no way I will be spared and I am ready to die, but my greatest regret would be to leave you in that deepest agony of losing your mate." He breathed, wiping his palm across his face.

"Jace, I don't mind dying with you. We are in this together! I was the one who told you to help him in while we find a way to set him up! Don't you remember? Why carry the cross all by yourself? No, please don't do this to me.." I whimpered as my heart swelled up like it would burst any second from now.

I had never felt this kind of pain in my entire life. It is now so clear that Jace really wanted to reject me. It wasn't a silly prank as I had thought.