Chapter 54

"So how did it all happen? How were you able to escape the hunters and trick them into killing another person that isn't you?" Blake asked, as we both lay on the bed looking into each other's eyes after we were done bathing separately. I can't believe how hard it was for me to decline his request to bathe together with me.

I was just so nervous and shy.

His hair was still wet, and I could see water dripping down his face as he smiled sweetly at me. For some minutes, I couldn't reply to his question as I got myself lost in how handsome he looked. He was just too cute that I felt overwhelmed with the fact that we were mates.

Recalling my past, I could only smile more. It had been so tough that I thought I would die. Death was really so close to me, with its claw ready to rip life out of me, but when it all seemed over, when it seemed like there was no way out, the vampire prince was the one who saved me.

Not from an enemy, but from the same people I saw as family and friends. My pack members were the ones who were about to end my life.

"That day, I was in the room with your friend, because we began to hear noise and chaos from the outside. We both rushed to the window and peeped, only to see the vampire hunters going from house to house. We were confused at first, not until we heard the words they were yelling." I paused and swallowed the bile in my throat as tears warmed up in my eyes.

"Where is that werewolf hiding among us!"

I recall vividly how fear gripped my throat and paralyzed me to the ground. My blood was running cold with every hair on my skin shooting up as I shivered.

The thought of dying was so terrifying that I began to cry. It was so hopeless because the hunters were many and seemed so trained. One thing I also noticed was the rage in their eyes. None of them were going to miss the chance of getting me and killing me in an instant.

"What happened next?" Blake asked with curiosity, hanging up his head as he fixed his eyes on me.

"He told me to go inside the room and wait for him. Without waiting to hear whatever I had to reply, he shifted into his vampire nature and dashed off outside. I had to lie in there, trembling and praying not to be caught, which all seemed so impossible because no matter where I hid, I could never hide my wolf scent and that is what would enable them to track me." I paused again, taking heavy breaths.

The scenes were replaying in my head, making me really confused about how I was able to form a vampire beast in me.

It reminded me of that day in the Royal Pack House when Torian and Sophia were torturing me. I felt something forming in me and giving me that urge to break off the chain and attack them all. I can vividly remember the rage and the intense craving for blood.

It all happened after I wore that ring Blake gave me, and again, I could remember how powerful I felt. It was the same as that moment when I sat on the bed watching those hunters walk past me.

"Blake, who has that ring?" I asked with arched brows, making him stare at me confusedly.

"Did it hurt you? The ring was given to me by my mother," he replied, and I smiled, caressing his hand, which I held in my palm.

"It helped me to hide my vampire nature while I was in my pack, but had a different effect when I came here. This time around, it awoke the vampire beast in me. I don't know how, but after I wore it on my finger, I began to notice different things that were strange. I also began to feel extraordinary changes in my body, like I was shifting." I explained further, smiling this time.

"So you mean that ring from my mother saved your life?" Blake asked with a bright smile, and I giggled at how cute he looked with that smile.

"The ring broke some kind of confinement in me, and now I have the ability to change from my werewolf nature to vampire. I can hide every wolf's ability and appear as a vampire. I never knew of it till I was attacked by two vampires in the forest where I was hiding last night. They almost killed me, and out of rage and fear of death, I made the last attempt to shift. Instead of turning into my wolf, I transformed into a vampire with fangs, claws, and pale skin. My muscles were suddenly enlarging and throbbing. I didn't even know when I killed those men and sucked their blood." I relayed everything just as it happened that night.

"So who killed my friend, Fred? How did he die?" He questioned him with a curious look mixed with sadness as he exhaled heavily.

"The vampire hunters were already close to the house before he could rush back in with a young girl who I detected as a werewolf from her scent. I don't know how or where he brought her from. I watched him dye her hair to look like mine, since she had brown hair. He saw the ring in my fingers and pulled it off, putting it in her fingers, before he then showed me a tunnel under the ground to enter and escape through after making me promise never to leave you. " My voice hitched at that moment as that brutal scene came rushing inside my head like a wave.

Flashback :

Fred told me to run away through that tunnel, but I was too afraid to do that, especially given how dark and creepy the hole looked and the fact that he had just brought in another she-wolf to die in place of me. I can't imagine being the reason the poor girl was going to lose her life.

It was really terrifying and heart-wrenching to watch the strange girl cry out her eyes, pleading to be saved too. I knew Blake's friend was doing this to keep his promise to Blake, but am I worth all this? I am just a random wolf whose life has no royalty or serious meaning.

I also have no parents and have betrayed my pack, who are all looking for me to kill. There was no need to be alive.

Just then, we heard bangs on the door. The vampire hunters' distinct scent whirls around, hitting my brain with the horror that I will be killed very soon if I don't leave.

Fred, Blake's friend, ran to me after tying up the wolf girl. He gripped my hair and opened the tunnel cover, which was at the far end of his room.

"This tunnel will lead you to the forest. Just run away, run anywhere and please don't die because Blake loves you so much." Those were his last words before shoving me in and closing the cover, but he was unable to lock it before the room door hinges broke down, forcing him to leave so the hunters wouldn't find out about the position of the tunnel.

"That is the wolf you are looking for!!" I heard Fred's scream followed by a sickening smashing sound that forced me to slowly open the tunnel cover and peep.

I couldn't hold my gasp of horror as I saw Fred using his butt to smash the poor she-wolf's face so hard that her skull cracked while she made bloodcurdling sounds of death.

"Why did you keep her with you and lock the door? You refused our entrance and made us break the door ourselves!" I heard one of the hunters growl at him.

"Yes, he only killed her now to make us believe he didn't betray us. He is a traitor!" Another added with a raised voice.

"What are you talking about?" Fred asked, his voice cracking even as he tried to sound innocent. I could only see their rear figures from the little opening.

"There is something fishy. He couldn't just lock the door and prevent us from entering, only to kill her by himself when we broke in. This can only mean he is hiding something!" One of the hunters, with a short muscular figure, seethed, and it seemed like they all began to consider his words as everyone of them roamed their eyes around, scanning every corner.

I was lucky that the tunnel was on the dark side of the room and its cover looked exactly like the ground, making it unnoticeable.

"Why will I betray my clan? Why will I keep a wolf, I...I...just didn't know you guys were the ones banging on...the..door" Fred voice was cracking now and that made me open the cover a bit to see why he was panicking this hard and I saw it. The vampire hunters were searching around the house, and if they ever see this tunnel, they will enter it and come after me.

My breath seized as I saw one of the hunters coming closer to me, his heavy boot stomping the ground and causing my heart to pause its beat as terror gripped every part of me as I slowly pulled back the cover, clamping my lips.

"The queen had said it one time that her son, Blake, was in love with a wolf girl. I think he was hiding this girl here for him." I overheard one say this, and the next sentence brought tears to my eyes.

"Let's end his life for betraying the entire vampire kingdom. He should have reported the wolf to us, saving us all this stress of searching from house to house. His death should be a lesson to everyone who will go against the rules just to please the vampire prince."

I silently opened the cover again, and right in front of my eyes, I saw his bloody lifeless body being dragged away alongside the innocent she wolf