Chapter Nine

—— ϟ ——

—— ϟ ——

"Dad, you can't resign! You love teaching!" Noel argued as Remus packed his things.

"Noel! Please! Snape told the Slytherins this morning of my condition. No later than tomorrow parents will find out and they will want me out anyway. At least now I did it first before they throw me out." He said.

"But that's not fair! All the kids love you. Snape is a slimeball and is acting like a child because he didn't get his way"

"Jellybean. I have another job for the summer, and I have saved up enough this term for our necessities. Magical Law says that they can not legally take children from registered werewolves because they might carry traits of the afflicted parent." Remus told her, already knowing where her mind will go now that he has to register.

"They treat you as if you aren't human. What Snape did is wrong." Noel told him sadly.

Remus sighed and stopped his packing. "I know, but we'll be okay." he ruffled his hair and resumed packing. Noel helped by making sure there was no silver anywhere in sight so he didn't burn himself.

When they were mostly finished Noel perched herself on his desk as Remus toyed with the map, seeing Harry's name approaching his office.

He wordlessly opened the door letting Harry in. "I just saw Hagrid," said Harry. "And he said you'd resigned. It's not true, is it?"

"I'm afraid it is," said Lupin. He started opening his desk drawers and taking out the contents. Noel busied herself while they talked.

"Why?" said Harry

"Because Snape is a little bitch," Noel muttered under her breath. Remus whacked her with a roll of parchment.

"This time tomorrow, the owls will start arriving from parents... They will not want a werewolf teaching their children, Harry."

"You're the best Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher we've ever had!" said Harry. "Don't go!"

"That's what I said."

Lupin threw his last few books into his case, closed the desk drawers, and turned to look at Harry. "Here — I brought this from the Shrieking Shack last night," he said, handing Harry back the Invisibility Cloak. "And..." He hesitated, then held out the Marauder's Map too. "I am no longer your teacher, so I don't feel guilty about giving you back this as well. It's no use to me, and I daresay you, Ron, and Hermione will find uses for it."

"And share with Noel of course, my name is on there," he said as an afterthought.

Harry took the map and grinned. "You told me Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs would've wanted to lure me out of school... you said they'd have thought it was funny."

"Does that mean that you condone me sneaking out?" Noel asked him cheekily.

"Teenage Remus and James would be thoroughly disappointed if our children didn't cause a little mischief and find out about the passageways." Remus grinned, picking up his trunk.

There was a knock on the door and in walked Dumbledore, "Your carriage is at the gate Remus."

Noel picked the empty Grindylow tank. Following Remus out.

"Good-bye, then, Remus," said Dumbledore soberly. Lupin shifted his trunk slightly so that he and Dumbledore could shake hands. Then, with a final nod to Harry and a swift smile, Lupin left the office.

Remus and Noel walked together silently. Noel was feeling as miserable as ever. Once they made it to the carriage and Remus packed the things in the carriage and he gathered Noel in his arms. "I'll see you at the station," he told her gently. Noel nodded and gripped his robes tighter. "I'm going to miss seeing you every day and staying in your office until you had to kick me out," she muttered.

Remus laughed and kissed her crown.

——————

Noel jumped off the train and barreled into her dad's arms. They laughed as they talked and headed out towards the exit. They stopped near Harry and his Aunt and Uncle. Noel ran and gave him a hug followed by a kiss on the cheek. "See you later Harry," she walked away laughing at his reddened cheeks. Remus looked back at him and sent him a wink.