Chapter Seventy Seven

—— ϟ ——

—— ϟ ——

Noel landed with the intention of entering the Leaky Cauldron.

The bar of the Leaky Cauldron was nearly deserted. Tom, the stooped and toothless landlord, was polishing glasses behind the bar counter; a couple of warlocks having a muttered conversation in the far corner glanced at Hermione and drew back into the shadows.

"Madam Lestrange," murmured Tom, and as Noel and her pose passed he inclined his head subserviently.

Noel didn't spare him a glacé and continued to stride towards the backyard. She tapped the brick wall and at once the bricks began to whirl and spin: A hole appeared in the middle of them, which grew wider and wider, finally forming an archway onto the narrow cobbled street that was Diagon Alley.

It was quiet, barely time for the shops to open, and there were hardly any shoppers abroad. The crooked, cobbled street was much altered now from the bustling place that Noel was used to.

Looking around she was faced with posters of herself and Harry. Undesirables number one and two. What a team they made, truly.

A number of ragged people sat huddled in doorways. She heard them moaning to the few passersby, pleading for gold, insisting that they were really wizards. One man had a bloody bandage over his eye.

Noel felt like she might be sick.

As they set off along the street, the beggars glimpsed her. They seemed to melt away before her, drawing hoods over their faces and fleeing as fast as they could. Noel looked after them curiously, until the man with the bloodied bandage came staggering right across her path.

"My children!" he bellowed, pointing at her. His voice was cracked, high-pitched; he sounded distraught. "Where are my children? What has he done with them? You know, you know!"

Noel was taken aback for a second, then she remembered what she looked like. Bending down and looking at him menacingly, she simply smirked. "Oh I know."

Quickly she stepped away from him before he could lunge at her. Noel looked at him sideways and glared.

Before they could move or consult one another, however, they heard a cry from behind them.

"Why, Madam Lestrange!"

A tall, thin wizard with a crown of bushy gray hair and a long, sharp nose was striding toward them.

"What do you want, Travers?"

Travers stopped in his tracks, clearly affronted.

"I merely sought to greet you," said Travers coolly, "but if my presence is not welcome ..."

"It's not." Noel said bluntly, "I have things to do, important things to do that you obviously wouldn't know about. I don't have time to stop and ask unimportant questions." She snapped, continuing to walk.