Chapter Forty Nine

—— ϟ ——

—— ϟ ——

"What is this that I hear about, how did Hermione phrase it? Ah, 'a book that allows Harry to cheat at Potions while he devises Slughorn with his trickery'." Noel said coming up behind Harry.

They were in the library, Noel had come in to find a book when she found him swamped in school work. He turned around and smiled up at her.

"Hello to you too, El."

She moved aside and rested her hip on the edge of the table. "So? Where is it?"

Harry sighed and dug through his bag to retrieve the book. He handed it to her and she looked at him, "this is what she's so upset about?" Opening the book Noel's eyes widened and flipped through the pages, her brows furrowed and she gnawed her lip between her teeth as she kept reading and inspecting.

Something about the messy scribbles reminded her strongly of something but she couldn't put her finger on it. Continuing to leaf through it, the book was filled with potion modifications and notes. It also seemed to have made-up spells and notes attached to them.

Harry watched her, she was so close that he got the whiff of hibiscus that he smelled in his amortentia. Trying to act as normal as he could, he tapped his fingers on the wood table, as if he hadn't just realized what that meant.

"Hmm, just don't— don't try any of these spells. You don't know who this belonged to." Noel said, giving it back. Harry nodded his head. "Did you learn about Amortentia last year?"

"Mm vaguely. We didn't brew it though." Noel said, picking at her nail varnish, hoping that he would be satisfied.

"But did you smell it?"

Well, fuck her then. "Uh... no." Noel lied but she was a horrible liar and unfortunately, Harry knew it.

"Noel."

"We did but I honestly don't remember what I smelled." She shrugged, looking at the shelf in front of her, Noel faked interest in the books. History of Magic, wow.

"Really?"

"Well, I mean. I smelled marmalade because my dad loves making it and hibiscus, and something else I don't know." Noel actually did know. It was the first smell she had deciphered but why would she tell him, to embarrass herself? No way. Sure they were dating and Noel knew what that he felt just as much as she felt for him but to admit it out loud sent shivers up her spine and not the good kind.

"Oh." He sounded slightly disappointed, Noel wanted to punch herself. Swallowing her embarrassment she sat in his lap and looked at him. "I smelled you. And it was a rather horrible experience because right next to me Cho announced the same thing I smelled which was the wax you use for your broomstick so..."

Harry's eyebrows shot up and he wrapped his arms around her comfortably. "Would it change your perspective on that event if I told you I smelled hibiscus in mine?"