Chapter Twenty Two

—— ϟ ——

—— ϟ ——

Mrs. Weasley, Bill, Ron, and Hermione grouped around a harassed looking Madam Pomfrey. Noel gave her a sympathetic look from her seat. Just then the double doors opened and in walked Dumbledore with Harry and a massive black dog that the kids knew was Snuffles.

Mrs. Weasley let out a kind of muffled scream. "Harry! Oh Harry!" She started to hurry toward him, but Dumbledore moved between them.

"Molly," he said, holding up a hand, "please listen to me for a moment. Harry has been through a terrible ordeal tonight. He has just had to relive it for me. What he needs now is sleep, and peace, and quiet. If he would like you all to stay with him," he added, looking around at Ron, Noel, Hermione, and Bill too, "you may do so. But I do not want you questioning him until he is ready to answer, and certainly not this evening."

Mrs. Weasley nodded. She was very white. She rounded on Ron, Hermione, and Bill as though they were being noisy, and hissed, "Did you hear? He needs quiet!"

"Headmaster," said Madam Pomfrey, staring at the great black dog that was Sirius, "may I ask what — ?"

"This dog will be remaining with Harry for a while," said Dumbledore simply. "I assure you, he is extremely well trained. Harry — I will wait while you get into bed."

"I will be back to see you as soon as I have met with Fudge, Harry," said Dumbledore.

"I would like you to remain here tomorrow until I have spoken to the school." He left. As Madam Pomfrey led Harry to a nearby bed, he caught sight of the real Moody lying motionless in a bed at the far end of the room. His wooden leg and magical eye were lying on the bedside table.

"Is he okay?" Harry asked.

"He'll be fine," said Madam Pomfrey, giving Harry some pajamas and pulling screens around him. He took off his robes, pulled on the pajamas, and got into bed.

Noel stayed at Snuffles' side as the others gathered around Harry's bed. Ron and Hermione looked at him, as though scared.

"I'm all right," he told them. "Just tired." Mrs. Weasley's eyes filled with tears as she smoothed his bed covers unnecessarily.

Madam Pomfrey, who had bustled off to her office, returned holding a small bottle of some purple potion and a goblet. "You'll need to drink all of this, Harry," she said. "It's a potion for dreamless sleep."

Within seconds Harry was asleep soundlessly. Snuffles had jumped into the bed and laid himself at Harry's feet ignoring the incredulous gasp from Mrs.Weasley.

Noel felt the itch to heal him, her head was fuzzy and she was starting to get a lightheaded. She felt the magic trying to leave her and just heal him but there were many people around her and she didn't want to explain herself at the moment. She pulled a chair up and sat a little further from the group so the magic wouldn't overwhelm her but with Harry a few feet away and Moody across the room, Noel felt a little nauseous.