Chapter Sixty One

—— ϟ ——

—— ϟ ——

All lessons were suspended, all examinations postponed. Some students were hurried away from Hogwarts by their parents over the next couple of days — the Patil twins were gone before breakfast on the morning following Dumbledore's death, and Zacharias Smith was escorted from the castle by his haughty-looking father. Seamus Finnigan, on the other hand, refused point-blank to accompany his mother home; they had a shouting match in the entrance hall that was resolved when she agreed that he could remain behind for the funeral.

Noel spent as much time with her friends as she could. Lucy was having horrible separation anxiety and wouldn't leave Noel unless she was with someone else. Noel was working overtime with the Professor to arrange Dumbledore's funeral. She and McGonagall had to accommodate some Ministry officials and the Minister of Magic within the castle while the others had to find a place in Hogsmeade.

Noel and Harry always, always made time to see each other even if it was a brief 5 minutes or sleeping over for the night.

They visited the hospital wing twice a day: Neville had been discharged, but Bill remained under Madam Pomfrey's care. His scars weren't as bad. Noel had offered to get rid of them but Billy had told her that he was fine and he didn't care about the two slashes across his cheek when she had healed everything else.  In personality, he seemed just the same as ever. All that appeared to have changed was that he now had a great liking for very rare steaks.

"...so eet ees lucky 'e is marrying me," said Fleur happily, plumping up Bill's pillows, "because ze British overcook their meat, I 'ave always said this."

"I suppose I'm just going to have to accept that he really is going to marry her," sighed Ginny later that evening, as she, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Noel sat beside the open window of the Gryffindor common room, looking out over the twilit grounds.

"She's not that bad," said Harry.

"I've always liked her," Noel said, throwing her legs over Harry's lap.

"That's because you two are the same. Beauty's with a brain."

Noel gave a small laugh, "You calling me beautiful Ginny? And smart?"

"Anyone else we know died?" Ron asked Hermione, who was perusing the Evening Prophet. Hermione winced at the forced toughness in his voice.

"No," she said reprovingly, folding up the newspaper. "They're still looking for Snape but no sign..."

"Of course, there isn't," said Harry, who became angry every time this subject cropped up. "They won't find Snape till they find Voldemort, and seeing as they've never managed to do that in all this time..."

"I'm going to go to bed," yawned Ginny. "I haven't been sleeping that well since...well....I could do with some sleep." She waved them all goodbye and descended up the stairs.