Chapter Fifty Two

—— ϟ ——

—— ϟ ——

Snow was swirling against the icy windows once more; Christmas was approaching fast. Hagrid had already single-handedly delivered the usual twelve Christmas trees for the Great Hall; garlands of holly and tinsel had been twisted around the banisters of the stairs; everlasting candles glowed from inside the helmets of suits of armor and great bunches of mistletoe had been hung at intervals along the corridors.

Noel spent a lot of time decorating and monitoring the whole thing because apparently that's one of the many tasks that come with being Head Girl. She had advised Flitwick to take down the mistletoe but he insisted on keeping it up because it was a, "Christmas Tradition Noel, we believe in tradition."

She had exceedingly less time to spend with her friends, she felt like she hadn't talked to Theo in ages but her schedule was so busy that she couldn't spare a minute to just catch up with him.

"He's at perfect liberty to kiss whomever he likes," said Hermione, while the librarian, Madam Pince, prowled the shelves behind them. "I really couldn't care less."
She raised her quill and dotted an i so ferociously that she punctured a hole in her parchment. Harry said nothing. Harry bent a little lower over Advanced Potion-Making and continued to make notes on Everlasting Elixirs, occasionally pausing to decipher the Prince's useful additions to Libatius Borage's text.

"And incidentally," said Hermione, after a few moments, "you need to be careful."

"For the last time," said Harry, speaking in a slightly hoarse whisper after three-quarters of an hour of silence, "I am not giving back this book, I've learned more from the Half-Blood Prince than Snape or Slughorn have taught me in —"

"I'm not talking about your stupid so-called Prince," said Hermione, giving his book a nasty look as though it had been rude to her. "I'm talking about earlier. I went into the girls' bathroom just before I came in here and there were about a dozen girls in there, including that Romilda Vane, trying to decide how to slip you a love potion. They're all hoping they're going to get you to take them to Slughorn's party, and they all seem to have bought Fred and George's love potions, which I'm afraid to say probably work —"

"What?" Noel hissed looking up from her book. "Using Amortentia is illegal."

"Why didn't you confiscate them?" Harry demanded, looking thoroughly offended.

"They didn't have the potions with them in the bathroom," said Hermione scornfully. "What did you decide for your birthday Noel, it's tomorrow." Hermione said, changing the conversation.

"I don't know. We have class and Harry said we'd do something." Noel shrugged, turning back to her book.

"But you are going to the party right? Please say yes, I don't want to be alone again." Hermione pleaded.

"Yes we are."

"Good. I know you haven't been technically hiding the fact that you guys are together, but this would be good to spread the word, especially to the group of girls who are trying to get you under the mistletoe." Hermione said wisely.