Chapter Thirty Seven

—— ϟ ——

—— ϟ ——

Noel slumped against Hermione the next morning during breakfast. The two had bonded over holiday, Hermione didn't have many friends who were used to the muggle word other than Harry so when she had learned that Noel had a muggle upbringing, courtesy of her grandmother, Hermione had become ecstatic.

The main topic of conversation was St.Mungos where Hermione had thought that Healers were Doctors which Noel had to explain to her the difference.

Anyway now that they two get along and would call each other friends Noel took the liberty to get some shut eye.

When Hermione's Daily Prophet arrived she smoothed it out, gazed for a moment at the front page, and then gave a yelp that caused everyone in the vicinity to stare at her.

"What?" said Harry and Ron together.

For an answer she spread the newspaper on the table in front of them and pointed at ten black-and-white photographs that filled the whole of the front page, nine showing wizards' faces and the tenth, a witch's. Some of the people in the photographs were silently jeering; others were tapping their fingers on the frame of their pictures, looking insolent. Each picture was captioned with a name and the crime for which the person had been sent to Azkaban.

Antonin Dolohov, read the legend beneath a wizard with a long, pale, twisted face who was sneering up at them, convicted of the brutal murders of Gideon and Fabian Prewett.
Augustus Rookwood, said the caption beneath a pockmarked man with greasy hair who was leaning against the edge of his picture, looking bored, convicted of leaking Ministry of Magic Secrets to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

But Noel's eyes were drawn to the picture of the witch. Her face had leapt out at him the moment he had seen the page. She had long, dark hair that looked unkempt and straggly in the picture, though he had seen it sleek, thick, and shining. She glared up at him through heavily lidded eyes, an arrogant, disdainful smile playing around her thin mouth. Like Sirius, she retained vestiges of great good looks, but something — perhaps Azkaban — had taken most of her beauty. Bellatrix Lestrange, convicted of the torture and permanent incapacitation of Frank and Alice Longbottom.

Noel quickly looked up to see Neville. Standing up quickly she made her way over and sat next to him. He silently showed her the paper where they read that the escapee's had escaped in the early hours of the evening. Noel grabbed his hand and gave it a squeeze.

He had an impassive expression on his face but Noel wanted to comfort him in any way she could.

Those who came from Wizarding families had grown up hearing the names of these Death Eaters spoken with almost as much fear as Voldemort's; the crimes they had committed during the days of Voldemort's reign of terror were legendary.

There were relatives of their victims among the Hogwarts students, who now found themselves the unwilling objects of a gruesome sort of reflected fame as they walked the corridors: Susan Bones, who had an uncle, aunt, and cousins who had all died at the hands of one of the ten, said miserably during Herbology that she now had a good idea what it felt like to be Harry.