Chapter Forty Six

—— ϟ ——

—— ϟ ——

The day after this rather gloomy birthday tea, their letters and booklists arrived from Hogwarts. Harry's included a surprise: He had been made Quidditch Captain.

"That gives you equal status with prefects!" cried Hermione happily. "You can use our special bathroom now and everything!"

"Wow, I remember when Charlie wore one of these," said Ron, examining the badge with glee. "Harry, this is so cool, you're my Captain — if you let me back on the team, I suppose, ha ha..."

"Well, I don't suppose we can put off a trip to Diagon Alley much longer now you've got these," sighed Mrs. Weasley, looking down Ron's booklist. "We'll go on Saturday as long as your father doesn't have to go into work again. I'm not going there without him."

"Mum, d'you honestly think You-Know-Who's going to be hiding behind a bookshelf in Flourish and Blotts?" sniggered Ron.

"Fortescue and Ollivander went on holiday, did they?" said Mrs. Weasley, firing up at once. "If you think security's a laughing matter you can stay behind and I'll get your things myself —"

"No, I wanna come, I want to see Fred and George's shop!" said Ron hastily.

"Then you just buck up your ideas, young man, before I decide you're too immature to come with us!" said Mrs. Weasley angrily, snatching up her clock, all nine hands of which were still pointing at "mortal peril," and balancing it on top of a pile of just-laundered towels. "And that goes for returning to Hogwarts as well!"

Ron turned to stare incredulously at Harry as his mother hoisted the laundry basket and the teetering clock into her arms and stormed out of the room.

"Blimey...you can't even make a joke round here anymore..."

Noel stared at her letter, her heart was beating quickly she felt like she might faint. "Oh god."

"What is it?" Theo asked, trying to look over. She quickly grabbed the letter and ran up the stairs, slamming the door of the bathroom.

Noel sat on the edge of the bathtub and reread the letter all about 10 times before she paced the length of the room, muttering to herself and clutching her hair.

She couldn't do it. It was too much responsibility and she didn't know anything about being a good example, she was an anxious mess half of the time. How could they do this to her? She would have to send Dumbledore a letter to let him know that she couldn't accept.

Oh but... it was so great at the same time. It showed that they thought she was up for the job, that she was responsible and trustworthy enough but... oh god.

A knock on the door took her out of her panic and she heard Mrs Weasley on the other side. "Noel dear? Are you alright?"

"I'm fine!" Noel shouted. She sighed deeply and opened the door. "I'm fine." She repeated. Giving Mrs Weasley a weak smile.