Chapter Seventy Eight

—— ϟ ——

—— ϟ ——

Noel removed the outer layers of her clothes, feeling as if they were weighing her down. Producing rope she spelled it to wrap around the dragon so she could steer it. As the dragon flew higher and higher Noel focused on healing herself and the others. If she had the strength she would help the dragon as well.

She felt Harry behind her, turning to look over her shoulder she saw that her friends were clinging onto the dragon for dear life. Ron kept swearing at the top of his voice, and Hermione seemed to be sobbing. Climbing as high as she could, Noel grabbed the ropes in hope that her knowledge from owning a miniature dragon would help her control one that's been imprisoned.

The dragon seemed intent on nothing but getting as far away from its underground prison as possible; but the question of how and when they were to dismount remained rather frightening.

The dragon seemed to crave cooler and fresher air: It climbed steadily until they were flying through wisps of chilly cloud, and Harry could no longer make out the little colored dots which were cars pouring in and out of the capital. On and on they flew, over countryside parceled out in patches of green and brown, over roads and rivers winding through the landscape like strips of matte and glossy ribbon.

"What do you reckon it's looking for?" Ron yelled as they flew farther and farther north.

"No idea," Harry bellowed back. "Noel, where are you taking us!"

Noel ignored him because she had no idea, all Noel wanted to do was to stabilize the dragon and find a safe patch of land for them to land.

The sun slipped lower in the sky, which was turning indigo; and still the dragon flew, cities and towns gliding out of sight beneath them, its enormous shadow sliding over the earth like a great dark cloud.

Every part of Harry ached with the effort of holding on to the dragon's back.

"Is it my imagination," shouted Ron after a considerable stretch of silence, "or are we losing height?"

The landscape seemed to grow larger and more detailed as he squinted over the side of the dragon, and he wondered whether it had divined the presence of fresh water by the flashes of reflected sunlight. Lower and lower the dragon flew, in great spiraling circles, honing in, it seemed, upon one of the smaller lakes.

"Noel!" He shouted, hoping to grab her attention.

Noel herself looked down and realized that if the dragon got low enough they'd be able to jump but she couldn't leave it. She had to help it, it was blind and injured, she had no idea how long it was alone and if she could help it, even if it's getting rid of its large gashes she would do it.

"I say we jump when it gets low enough!" Harry called back to the others. "Straight into the water before it realizes we're here!"

They agreed, Hermione a little faintly, and now Harry could see the dragon's wide yellow underbelly rippling on the surface of the water. "Noel, jump." Harry said his voice full of reason. She looked at him and at the dragon, frighted on which decision to make.