Chapter Fifty Eight

—— ϟ ——

—— ϟ ——

Harry told Noel everything that had gone the night before. He and Dumbledore had discussed in his office late at night after he had retrieved Slughorn's memory about what happened with Voldemort and his potential plans.

He told her about the seven Horcruxes, the one he destroyed and the one Dumbledore himself had destroyed. Noel frowned the entire time and worried her lip when he started talking about the prophecy again.

"I'm going with him to find another one." He told her hesitantly.

"What?" She said, startled. "What are you talking about? You're– are you insane?"

"El–"

"You're talking about Voldemort splitting his soul into seven pieces like it's a regular Tuesday. You mention that you're going to go look for a Horcruxe like you'll have tea with the fucking Queen of England! Have you lost your mind?" Noel said aghast.

"Why is this such a surprise to you? Have you been living under a rock Noel?! This is our reality, not everything is sunshines and daisies anymore. I have things to do and accomplish so this maniac can finally be defeated. You can't expect me to sit here and do nothing about it. He killed my parents!"

"I'm not telling you to not do it Harry!' Noel argued, "But you need to stop talking about it so casually. You act as if it's the easiest thing in the world! It's not, and you need to realize what's at risk."

"I know what's a risk."

"No you don't! You could die!"

"I would rather die trying than sit on my arse and do nothing."

"I hope that statement isn't directed towards me, Harry Potter." Noel warned him.

"Of course it isn't." Harry said, rubbing his temples tiredly. An uncomfortable silence set itself over the two who were deep in thought. The bell rang indicating that their free period was over. Noel didn't want to leave with how their conversation ended but she had class and wasn't keen on talking about it anymore.

Noel packed her things silently and left Harry by himself. Walking into Transfiguration, Noel wondered what the commotion was until she noticed Katie had come back.

"Hi, Katie! How are you feeling?" She asked her kindly, when everyone had settled down. "I'm really well!" Katie said happily.

Harry found himself walking down to dinner alone from the common room. He made his usual detour along the seventh-floor corridor, checking the Marauder's Map as he went. For a moment he could not find Malfoy anywhere and assumed he must indeed be inside the Room of Requirement again, but then he saw Malfoy's tiny, labeled dot standing in a boys' bathroom on the floor below, accompanied, not by Crabbe or Goyle, but by Moaning Myrtle.

Out- side the bathroom, he pressed his ear against the door. He could not hear anything. He very quietly pushed the door open. Draco Malfoy was standing with his back to the door, his hands clutching either side of the sink, his white-blond head bowed.