Chapter Eighteen

—— ϟ ——

—— ϟ ——

As Noel walked into the common room she could hear a group of 4th year girls talking excitedly about the ball and their dates. She edged a little closer and saw Padma was in the center telling the girls about what had just happened.

"Harry asked Parvati to the ball and told her that Ron still needed a date and asked me if I could go with him! Parvati is really excited as am I. We were both getting a little worried and we were going to go together if no one asked but luckily Harry worked up the courage to ask her. Especially since Cho told him that she couldn't go."

"I thought he was going to ask you Noel." Padma said, looking at her and causing the attention to shift to Noel who laughed awkwardly as everyone eagerly awaited her response.

"No, he didn't ask me but I couldn't go with him either way. I asked Luna to go with me." Noel said as she crossed her arms to shield herself away and the scrutinizing looks the girls sent her way when they were informed she was going with another girl.

"I hope you have fun Padma as well as your sister. Hopefully those two know how to behave themselves." Noel said to Padma who smiled.

Noel felt her stomach had fallen to her feet as she learned that Harry had asked two different girls already, both who were in Ravenclaw, surely her name wasn't too far back into his head right?

Right.

That night Harry was beating himself as he tried to sleep. How could he not possibly not think of asking Noel who he was sure would say yes to him either because she wanted to go with him or because she's too nice to say no.

He could've gone with someone who he actually knew and would be able to hold a conversation with, and someone that he really liked. Like a lot. How on earth did her name or face not pop into his head as the last couple of days that he had been in complete disarray trying to figure out a date for this ball. She had probably heard by now who he was taking a he really wished she hadn't because then he would gently, kindly tell Parvati that he couldn't go with her and ask Noel instead.

Harry shook his head and scolded himself, he couldn't do that! That was mean and he didn't even know if Noel had a date! Oh Merlin, did Noel have a date!? Harry's chest ached at the thought. He knew what he had to do come morning. He would find Noel and strategically ask if she was going with anyone.

The great hall was usually quite during individual study but the constant bickering from Ron and Hermione who were sitting a few seats away from Noel was disturbing the quiet.

Noel tried to concentrate on her essay for Ancient Runes really hard but was finding it very difficult. As she lifted her head to shush the two she was startled to see Harry sitting next to her working on his own essay.

"Merlin's saggy tits Harry!" Noel gasped.

"Sorry. They're being annoying."

"Yes I've noticed." Noel said putting her quill down, her essay wasn't going to improve  anyway. She placed her head on her hands as she gazed over at Harry who too had stopped writing. They turned to look at each other.