Chapter Forty

—— ϟ ——

—— ϟ ——

Around 12 o'clock Noel was woken up by a series of shouts just outside her window. Getting up she made her way to look and schooled she saw that there were about 5 people making their way towards Hagrid's cabin.

Opening up the window to hear what was happening There was a loud BANG from the grounds, it rattled her window. Noel watched anxiously, worried for Hagrid but also Hades, her poor puppy was in there too.

Hagrid's door had burst open and by the light flooding out of the cabin they saw him quite clearly, a massive figure roaring and brandishing his fists, surrounded by six people, all of whom, judging by the tiny threads of red light they were casting in his direction, seemed to be attempting to Stun him.

Jets of red light were still flying beside Hagrid's cabin, yet somehow they seemed to be bouncing off him. He was still upright and still, as far as Noel could see, fighting. Cries and yells echoed across the grounds; a man yelled, "Be reasonable, Hagrid!" and Hagrid roared, "Reasonable be damned, yeh won' take me like this, Dawlish!"

Noel could see the tiny outline of Fang, attempting to defend Hagrid, leaping at the wizards surrounding him until a Stunning Spell caught him and he fell to the ground. Hagrid gave a howl of fury, lifted the culprit bodily from the ground, and threw him: The man flew what looked like ten feet and did not get up again.

Noel gasped, she prayed that Hades stayed in the cabin, her heart was hammering in her chest.

Noel saw someone start to run down the grounds, it was Professor McGonogall. "How dare you! How dare you!" "Leave him alone! Alone, I say!" said Professor McGonagall's voice through the darkness. "On what grounds are you attacking him? He has done nothing, nothing to warrant such —"

Noel screamed. No fewer than four Stunners had shot from the figures around the cabin toward Professor McGonagall. Halfway between cabin and castle the red beams collided with her. For a moment she looked luminous, illuminated by an eerie red glow, then was lifted right off her feet, landed hard on her back, and moved no more.

"COWARDS!" bellowed Hagrid, his voice carrying clearly to the top of the tower, and several lights flickered back on inside the castle. "RUDDY COWARDS! HAVE SOME O' THAT — AN' THAT —"

Hagrid took two massive swipes at his closest attackers; judging by their immediate collapse, they had been knocked cold. Noel saw him double over and thought for a moment that he had finally been overcome by a spell, but on the contrary, next moment Hagrid was standing again with what appeared to be a sack on his back — then Noel realized with a heavy heart that Fang's limp body was draped around his shoulders.

"Get him, get him!" screamed Umbridge, but her remaining helper seemed highly reluctant to go within reach of Hagrid's fists. Indeed, he was backing away so fast he tripped over one of his unconscious colleagues and fell over. Hagrid had turned and begun to run with Fang still hung around his neck; Umbridge sent one last Stunning Spell after him but it missed, and Hagrid, running full-pelt toward the distant gates, disappeared into the darkness.

Noel took in a shaky breath, she could hear Hades loud barking coming from the cabin. Her body pumping with adrenaline she put in her shoes and grabbed her wand, running down the Ravenclaw tower and down to the lawn she would be damned if her dog got hurt.

Umbridge and the Aurors were walking back into the castle all looking furious. She saw that someone was taking Professor McGonagall inside, her body limp. Noel will make a little detour to the hospital wing after she gets Hades.

Creeping into the cabin Noel called out for him but she could only hear a faint whimper. Noel, feeling like she was about to cry, looked for him. He was laying under the table looking scared. Noel crouched down and offered her hand for him. Hades tentatively came out and gave her his great big puppy eyes. He didn't look hurt and Noel didn't feel like he needed healing so picking him up like a big baby she carried him out and into the castle.

Noel didn't know where she would keep him but she needed to stay with him to make sure he would be out of harm's way. As she walked back in she heard murmuring coming from the corridor and she was faced with a group of fifth years.

Harry broke through the crowd and made his way over. "Hey, are you okay? Is he hurt?" He asked, looking at Hades.

Noel shook her head, "no. I thought he was, I had to get him out of there... I don't—"

"Hey, it's okay. He's okay. Here give him."

Noel passed Hades to Harry who was able to carry him better and she grabbed his bag. "How was your exam?" She asked him as the Gryffindors moved to their tower.

"Well it was going fine until... y'know."

"At least they didn't get to take Hagrid off to Azkaban," said Ron. "I 'spect he's gone to join Dumbledore, hasn't he?"

"I suppose so," said Hermione, who looked tearful. "Oh, this is awful, I really thought Dumbledore would be back before long, but now we've lost Hagrid too. . . ."

They traipsed back to the Gryffindor common room to find it full. The commotion out in the grounds had woken several people, who had hastened to rouse their friends. Seamus and Dean, who had arrived ahead of the four and they were now telling everyone what they had heard from the top of the Astronomy Tower.

"But why sack Hagrid now?" asked Angelina Johnson, shaking her head. "It's not like Trelawney, he's been teaching much better than usual this year!"

"Umbridge hates part-humans," said Hermione bitterly, flopping down into an armchair. "She was always going to try and get Hagrid out."

"And she thought Hagrid was putting nifflers in her office," piped up Katie Bell.

"Oh blimey," said Lee Jordan, covering his mouth. "It's me that's been putting the nifflers in her office, Fred and George left me a couple, I've been levitating them in through her window..."

"She'd have sacked him anyway," said Dean. "He was too close to Dumbledore."

"That's true," said Harry, sinking into an armchair beside Hermione's.

"I just hope Professor McGonagall's all right," said Lavender tearfully.

"They carried her back up to the castle, we watched through the dormitory window," said Colin Creevey "She didn't look very well. . . ."

"Madam Pomfrey will sort her out," said Alicia Spinnet firmly. "She's never failed yet."

Noel was quiet. She was sitting with Hades on the floor, he looked so scared, his head was in her lap as they both faced the fire.

The common room cleared in the early hours of the morning. Noel was laying on the floor, a vacant look on her face. Harry looked at her worriedly. He laid down next to her, letting out a deep sigh. "I hate exams."

"God me too. I can't wait to go home. I need some fresh air."

Harry turned to look at her, had she always been this pretty? Maybe it was the lack of sleep and the adrenaline of tonight but he didn't know why in that moment it was important for him to point it out.

"Noel, has anyone ever told you that you're beautiful?" Harry sighed out, a deep coil in his stomach, waiting for her reaction.

Noel's breathing stopped all together and closed her eyes, when she opened them again she looked back at him. "No." She whispered.

Harry looked at her and shifted his gaze between her two eyes, "I think you're beautiful."

"Am I beautiful in the way that you think Cho is beautiful?"

"Cho has nothing on you." He said honestly. Noel but her lip, her cheeks reddening, Harry felt a deep warmth rise in his chest.

"Thank you." She said softly. Harry nodded his head and turned to face the ceiling once more.