Chapter Thirty One

—— ϟ ——

—— ϟ ——

Noel waited patiently for Professor Flitwick to give her her times table. When he finally got to her he hesitated, beforehand but gave it to her nonetheless. She looked down at it and it furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

"Professor–"

Flitwick was always halfway through the hall when she called out for him. "Professor!" Noel said, walking after him.

"Professor Flitwick, these aren't my classes."

Flitwick stammered and smoothed out his robes nervously. "Yes– yes I know."

"Then why did you give me this?"

"Dumbledore decided that–"

"No–" Noel said mournfully. "Professor please don't."

"I'm sorry Noel. I tried to talk to him but he wouldn't let me."

"Professor, I passed my O.W.Ls. I'm a 6th year. Professor please. I worked my ass off all summer! You said I could do it!" Noel cried out. The Professor looked around nervously and a few students stopped and looked over but Noel paid them no mind.

"And you were! Noel, I wouldn't give you false hope!" His voice went an octave higher.

"Then why am I still taking 5th year classes!"

"Miss Lupin! Calm down!"

"I will not!"

"Miss Lupin. Go through your classes today and meet me for tea before dinner." Flitwick said sternly.

Noel's jaw dropped. She looked at her times table once more and wanted to set it on fire.

She took a deep breath, willing herself to calm down. If she won't be able to take the proper classes this year she doesn't know what she'll do.

Noel walked into her first class which was Arithmancy. She took a seat next to Theo who looked at her in surprise.

"What–"

"Please don't ask." She said sadly.

Theo nodded his head but respected her wishes. He also knew she'd tell him anyway.

Not even a minute later she handed him her times table.

"They're all–"

"5th year, yeah I know."

"Why?"

"Flitwick said Dumbledore thought it best if I stay in my year," she said, her voice cracking. "This is bullshit. I wouldn't have gone through all that stress this summer if I knew that they were going to set me back."

"What did he say?"  He asked, handing her back the slip of paper.

Noel laid her head down. "He said to go to his office before tea. He better explain to me properly."