Chapter Thirty Four

—— ϟ ——

—— ϟ ——

Noel had reassured Theo that she was fine. More than fine that she was absolutely fantastic. But as she kept saying it she believed it less and less and it didn't help those who were at the Three Broomsticks that Saturday kept giving her pitying looks.

At dinner, as she poked her food with too much force, Harry slid into the bench next to her.

"Hey."

"Hi." She said miserably.

"I heard what happened. It was really shitty."

"I'll say. It was humiliating. I just—" she shook her head, "I don't even know why I'm so upset, I barely even know him y'know?"

"But you liked him enough to go on a date. It's okay to be sad Noel."

"I guess."

"Listen, we found a place for the meeting so meet us on the 7th floor corridor at 8 tonight."

Noel and Theo walked into the room and looked around amazed. The walls were lined with wooden bookcases, and instead of chairs there were large silk cushions on the floor. A set of shelves at the far end of the room carried a range of instruments such as Sneakoscopes, Secrecy Sensors, and a large, cracked Foe-Glass that had hung, the previous year, in the fake Moody's office.

By the time eight o'clock arrived, every cushion was occupied. Harry moved across to the door and turned the key protruding from the lock; it clicked in a satisfyingly loud way and everybody fell silent, looking at him.

"Well," said Harry, slightly nervously. "This is the place we've found for practices, and you've — er — obviously found it okay —"

"It's fantastic!" said Cho, and several people murmured their agreement.

"It's bizarre," said Fred, frowning around at it. "We once hid from Filch in here, remember, George? But it was just a broom cupboard then. . . ."

"Well, I've been thinking about the sort of stuff we ought to do first and — er —" He noticed a raised hand. "What, Hermione?"

"I think we ought to elect a leader," said Hermione.

"Harry's leader," said Cho at once, looking at Hermione as though she were mad, and Harry's stomach did yet another backflip.

"Yes, but I think we ought to vote on it properly," said Hermione, unperturbed. "It makes it formal and it gives him authority. So — everyone who thinks Harry ought to be our leader?"

Everybody put up their hands, even Zacharias Smith, though he did it very halfheartedly.

"Er — right, thanks," said Harry, who could feel his face burning. "And — what, Hermione?"

"I also think we ought to have a name," she said brightly, her hand still in the air. "It would promote a feeling of team spirit and unity, don't you think?"