Chapter Forty Eight

—— ϟ ——

—— ϟ ——

The next morning after having a talk with Professor Flitwick who sat at his chair while Noel complained about how horrible he is to her he gave a small laugh and guided her to the Great Hall. Used to Noel and her tangent rants he let her talk until and passed her the times table.

"I don't know how many of my students who will be taking this many N.E.W.T.s this year but no matter you know my classroom is open for free rage rooms."

Noel puffed out her cheeks and stalked away, ignoring his laugh. She bumped into Lucy along the way who's hair was a mess, "Lucy, your hair, lovely." She said, giving the girl a sympathetic smile.

"My roommates said I was late! I freaked out." Lucy said, trying to flatten her hair. Noel laughed quietly, "I could plait it for you, I have time." Noel said, checking her watch. She sat Lucy down, and while she ate, Noel braided her hair into two dutch braids. Once finished, Noel patted her head and went to sit down with Harry who had just entered.

While they ate the two boys told them a conversation they had with Hagrid the previous night regarding his class. Apparently neither Ron, Harry nor Hermione were taking his class this year.

"But he can't really think we'd continue Care of Magical Creatures!" she said, looking distressed. "I mean, when have any of us expressed... you know... any enthusiasm?"

"That's it, though, innit?" said Ron, swallowing an entire fried egg whole. "We were the ones who made the most effort in classes because we like Hagrid. But he thinks we liked the stupid subject. D'you reckon anyone's going to go on to N.E.W.T.?"

Noel choked on her tea and gasped as Harry rubbed her back. He looked at her worriedly, Noel gasped for a breath. "What happened?" He frowned.

"Nothing," she said hastily, "I'm taking N.E.W.T. Care of Magical Creatures."

Hermione and Harry looked at her in disbelief. "You! You've always complained about his teaching!" Hermione cried out.

"I know! But Flitwick said I needed it. I– I was kind of hoping for Hagrid to not teach it this year... I feel like I'm setting myself up to be honest but it's too late to drop it now."

"What career did you choose?" Hermione asked.

"I didn't. That's why I'm taking all my N.E.W.T.s. Options and all that." Noel gestured vaguely, taking Harry's strawberries.

"You didn't– how could you not choose!" Hermione said, she looked like an exasperated mother.

"I'm joining the Order and if I even live I don't want to immediately jump into anything. C'mon Hermione I'll be eighteen. I wanna explore, see what the world has to offer. You know, visit Spain, Greece, Italy, Brazil, Mexico..." Noel smiled.

"I heard that New Zealand is beautiful." Harry said, giving her an encouraging smile.

Hermione looked between the two and the smile she was trying to fight, broke its way through her face. "Maybe we could visit the Philippines while we're at it."