Chapter 39- Stick Together

April 15th, 2017:

"Daeseong's been let out," Yoongi finally lets the cat out of the bag, "he's been given home detention curfew".

I look at him unblinkingly. I must have heard wrong. This was not possible.

"What does that mean?" I say, still in disbelief.

"Umm, yeah, so he has to stay within the radius around his home. He has to check in with his supervisor every six hours and has to wear an ankle bracelet," Yoongi explains, looking a bit disconcerted by my unreadable reaction.

I nod slowly, my eyes looking around unfocused. I thought I had been assured a minimal two years of safety. I thought I had two assured Daeseong-free years. No matter how many times he had to check in with police or how high-tech the ankle bracelet was, I would not feel completely safe. I could feel my chest rise up and down.

"Y/N," Yoongi says, going to stand up, but I do before him.

"I'm fine," I say, standing up before him and going off to the side of the pool, my back facing him, "I'm fine".

I put my hand over my pounding heart and start trying to calm my breathing.

"Woah, Y/N," Yoongi says, standing up and going to me, my heavy, inconsistent breathing worrying him.

"I'm fine," I repeat curtly, shrugging off his hand and walking further away.

Yoongi doesn't go back to trying to comfort me. He just stood where I left him. After a few minutes, I successfully manage to avoid a full-blown attack and calmed myself down. A couple of tears fell, but I never properly started crying. I would not allow myself to. This was no reason to have tears fall.

"When was he let out?" I ask, finally turn to him.

"Two weeks ago," he answers.

"How long have you known?" I continue questioning in the calmest tone I could muster.

"... Three weeks," Yoongi says, looking guilty.

I start nodding once again, trying to process everything.

"We thought you needed the break. You were finally starting to do well after Chicago. We knew you were safe. You are safe. You deserved to be carefree again," he explains himself without me asking.

"That's not up to you to decide," I say angrily, my emotions finally showing, "how many times do I have to say this"

"I know, that's why I'm telling you now," Yoongi says looking sorry.

"Do you all know?" I say, feeling utterly betrayed.

Yoongi nods in silence.