CHAPTER-5

I could feel my senses coming back as my body stirred feeling a soft surface beneath it.

I was tired. My body seemed to be wearing down and opening my eyes was a struggle but I did.

I blinked once. Twice. And thrice. Until my eyes could make a focused image.

I looked around. It was all strikingly white. But I knew it wasn't heaven. There were windows on the wall with blue curtains parted on them and soft glow of sun coming was warming my skin.

My palms sank under the mattress of the bed as I sat pushing my torso up. There was a painting straight ahead of me on the wall. A willow tree beside the frozen lake, covered in snow. I could know that painting anywhere. And I knew where I was.

Last night flashed through me.

I was in the room that I stayed in last time in my Aunt's summer house which I was coming to.

An apprehension coiled around me. I remembered being in an accident. I looked at my shoulder as I tried to move it. There was no sign of hurt. It was moving fine. I felt weary but there was no twinge of hurt I could feel on my body. And It wasn't making any sense. I wasn't expecting to wake up here let alone be all fine when wake up. It should either have been in a hospital or afterlife.

There was a man last night. He pulled me out of the car. And I was afraid of him. That smile I could never forget.

I let in a shaky breath as I hung my head in my hands. What's happening?

Why everything had stopped making sense in my life? First that nightmare. Then that incident in the cafe. And now that accident I was in.

I heard three simulneous knocks but I didn't bother calling in the person on the other side. There was a brief pause which soon followed by the opening of door.

A shrunk figure of an old lady peeked in. It was Ava. She was a caretaker here.

"I hope I didn't disturb you." She said with hesitation seeming to realise that I didn't answer the door on purpose.

"How am I here?" I asked.

She frowned as if my words were confusing. "You drove in here last night"

My eyes narrowed as I stared at her in disbelief. "In my red Chevy?"

She gave me a dubious look as she nodded.

This couldn't be possible. My car was in a wreck so was I.

Deep lines etched her brow like my questions weren't making any sense. "Are you alright? You look really pale."

I ignored her concern as I stared her way while my insides seemed to suffocate from all the unexplainable happenings.

"Miss Moore?" She called.

I bit my lip as an urge to scream well in me. "I need to be alone."

She stood there a second longer as she finally spoke what she was meaning to in the first place. "I just wanted to inform that I'm flying back to my home. But I've arranged for a fill in for my place. He'll be here by the evening."

I nodded.

I barely acknowledged her as she exited the room. I didn't care to ask why she was flying back. I was much more absorbed in my own twisted problems with no explanation.

I flopped my head back to the pillow as I stared in the nothingness with bleakness of my thoughts lingering inside me.

Something was wrong. Gravely wrong. It was either with me or around me. If it was with me I needed a shrink or was around me I needed a god.