CHAPTER-64

"Well, I hope you both have gone over your plan." Charlie said, eyeing both the guys standing across him at the front of the house where Reuben had parked the car to drop me off.

"Yes, we have been over it several times. " Reuben said, with his usual confident radiancy.

"Well then, you can without a worry leave Aurora in my care." Charlie glanced at me with a soft smile.

I looked over Reuben, he was peering my way with a promising look. My heart swelled. I knew he would set me free of this obsession, but for some reason I couldn't help this anxious jitters welling in the pit of my stomach.

I looked at him as the door to the car clicked open and he made his way inside it.

Something inside me was screaming him to stop, but suppressing it, I bit my lip. I tried to be positive, drowning my fears. I had to be positive.

I peeked one glance at Oliver, his face was impassive of emotion as he met my eyes which were fixed at him in a silent pled. There was an uncertainty for a moment in him, but then same promising look as Reuben shimmered in his eyes. And I knew my words from before had now reached to him.
I smiled at him as he sat inside the car.

Shutting of doors, again, brought an apprehension wrenching my gut and my smile faltered. I didn't want them to go. But, it was too late, the car had already driven off from there, leaving me behind, trapped in my dreads.

"Finally, now there's an end to that demon." Optimism filled words echoed in my ears.

I whirled to look at Charlie who gazed in the direction, where the car left, in an unbreakable hopefulness.

His words put me at ease as he turned to me. "It's quite chilli today, let's go inside and have some hot chocolate." He said with his warm, comforting smile as he ushered me in.

***

"Here," Charlie stretched a steaming mug to me. I took it, holding it between my palms, taking in its soft warmth.

He took a seat across me on a couch as he had a sip from his mug. "So, tell me something about you, Aurora?"

I looked up from my hot chocolate. There was a genuine curiosity etched onto him as he looked at me, enthralled.

"Well, there's not anything to tell." I shrugged. "Besides being haunted by a demon, my life has always been pretty much simple, so simple that you would probably fall asleep if I started."

He chuckled. "I believe excellency lies in simplicity. Isn't it great that your life had been simple, free of complexities."

His words caught me off guard, dawning a sudden realization on me. If anything, my life hadn't been simple that I had always stated.

It was always so complex that it didn't seem exciting at all. I always wanted to run off from it and craved to be like anyone regular. Because regular was being simple, and simple was what I wanted.

"So you can start with telling me about your childhood," His words pulled me out from my brood. There was not an inquiring look, but an inclined interest evident on his face. As if there was something very intriguing about.

"My childhood was... " I couldn't say simple now, because it wasn't. It was lonely except for the time spend with mom. She would always make sure to keep me company. But she couldn't always as she had work to do. Gavin was too much busy in being perfect at everything to please our father, and dad never even acknowledged my presence. My palms tightened around the mug, feeling a twinge in my heart. I searched for an exact word. "Alone," The word flew past my mouth without even realizing what I just said. I didn't intent to bare my sad childhood like that, but it was too late now.