CHAPTER-23

I was laid awake in my bed with my blood pulsating in my veins due to the consternation clutching my heart.

"Day has gone
Now darkness will dawn
Seeping through the corners
Where you haven't imagine
It will have you very soon
Pushing you at the brink of your doom
There'll you find me waiting for you
I'll possess you, heed my cue."

For last half an hour, this humming was ringing in my ear, a soft voice singing it melodiously, but the words were quite getting to me, creeping me out to acknowledge it's melody.

Why April is singing such song? Her taste is kinda odd for a kid.

I tried to calm my breathing and tried to shift my focus from it. But the hushed surrounding wasn't helping me much. Her voice was echoing off the wall as she kept singing those lines, but suddenly it stopped, relieving my freaking nerves, I let out a huge breath and turned to the other side to find comfort in my position but instead of comfort, fright shot through me, making me flinch back with a small shriek, but my thudding heart relaxed at spotting a small frame staring at me with those coal black eyes.

I closed my eyes and sighed in ultimate relief and rose from the bed, pulling the sheets off from me.

"April what happened? Do you need something?" I asked, trying to manage the politeness in my voice.

She nodded. "I want water."

Oh! I forgot to keep water for her on the nightstand.

"Okay." I stood from my bed and putting a palm on her small back, tenderly, led her down to the kitchen.

Taking a glass, I poured the water from the pitcher and extended it to her. She clutched it using her both palm, still not taking her eyes off me.

To avoid her stare, I moved my eyes everywhere but her, and then my eyes stopped at the front door visible through the archway of the kitchen and for some reason it captivated my eyes.

I made a decision few nights ago that to end all this, I would surrender to Erebus but after getting caught up in the recent events I had forgotten all about it. I could do this now and act on my decision. The more I was delaying, the more I was jeopardizing the lives of the one I cared about, but I wasn't able to make myself to act on my decision, to surrender to that demon.

I felt a tug on the hem of my dress and saw April's eye fixated on me, giving me the empty glass. I took the glass from her put it on the counter. Then I again started to lead her back to the room. On the way my eyes flickering on the door, but ignoring it I balked at my decision. I just couldn't summon it me to do this. I couldn't surrender to him.

Reaching in April's room, I put her to bed, her eyes never leaving me. As I was pulling the blanket to her, my knuckles grazed on her chin, and I cringed at its temperature. I touched her cheeks. They were also freezing cold.

"Why are you so cold?" I whispered.

"I'll be like this for quite some time." She replied, her face gaining no countenance. She was practically like a porcelain doll. She never gained any expression and even her voice remained same, free of pitch.