CHAPTER-22

"That's why Erebus is after you." Utter shock draped Oliver's words. "How someone can be so cruel to trade his own baby."

"He was just an individual for me. I don't consider him as my father, to expect anything, and then be disheartened over his actions." I sipped my juice, trying to immure the sadness of my past.

Oliver fiddled his spoon on the scramble eggs on his plates, there was a dismayed look inundated his face. "It is all happening just because of that demon," his grip tightened around his spoon. "If only he could be killed then this all miseries created by him was over long ago, saving many innocent lives."

"But he can be killed? Right?" My stomach started to churn, and I wanted to throw up the little food I had in my belly at anticipating the worst.

He stopped fiddling with his food and his eyes flickered over mine, the usual impish mien was replaced by the serious one. "He is too wise and cunning to be killed," My stomach twisted at his words, and seeing the food before me made me nauseous. "Plus killing demon means to eradicate their existence from this universe and there existence solely based on the darkness and darkness can never be eradicated."

I swallowed the dreading lump in my throat. "Why?"

"Because dark and light are the two ends of a rope. One's existence could be in jeopardy if other would vanish. So this makes Erebus an immortal."

All the air sucked out of me. "That means we always have to run from him?"

"Demons are immortal beings but my grandma used to tell me if we could have trapped Erebus in the perdition than everything would have been perfect in our life." He said, recalling the words of her grandmother.

"What's perdition?" I asked, a little hope was making its way back in me.

He rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "My grandma blabbers a lot of things, so I never cared to ask."

"What?" Disbelief crossed my face. He never bothered to ask her grandma about such a crucial thing!

"Hey! You don't have a grandma who keeps on filling your ears with her constant rants." He said defensively.

"Ya, I understand." My words dripped sarcasm.

He pouted. "You don't understand that she usually eats my ear."

I chuckled, he had this aura that could lighten the heavy mood. Just looking at his childishness had my heart forgotten all the worries that was getting me some moments before.

As my chuckle ceased, I found him gazing at me with profound gleam in his eyes, like he was caught by something rapturous.

Before I could ask him about that, small knocks resounded at the main door, averting our attentions at the source of the knock.

Who can be this early in the morning?

My chair slid backwards as my feet led me to the foyer but stumbled as I whacked against a hard chest.

"Ow!" I rubbed my head, and two hands clutched my arm which were expected and another unexpected pair was on my upper torso and arm steadied my tumbling balance.

I lifted my eyes to meet those chocolate brown orbs looking over my shoulder with a burning gleam glinting his eyes that I couldn't decipher, making my head whirl, to my side to meet hazel eyes, which had the same gleam and line
of vision. Friction in the atmosphere increased, creating sparks, unnerving me with anxiousness.

Three knocks in the row resounded again, making three of us break free from our stance.

Reuben strode to the door, leaving me and Oliver together staring at door with angst eyes.