Chapter 1 (Introductions)

It seemed like a normal day.  My parents and brother were waiting for me to come downstairs to we could leave.  I quickly brushed out my h/l h/c and put on a f/c headband.  I went down the stairs and found my older brother, b/n (brothers name).  "Hey b/n!"  I said.  He jumped slightly.  "Hey n/n."  He said.  I laughed at the old nickname.  "Aren't you a little to old to be calling me that?"  I accused.  "Nope."  He said, popping the 'p'.  "So where are mom and dad?"  I said, rolling my eyes.  "They had to leave in a rush.  But I'm supposed to take you somewhere."  He said.  
I nodded.  "I get it, something came up at work."  I said, saddened.  Today was my 5th birthday, we were going to a bakery so I could pick a cake out.  "Don't worry n/n.  Let's go pick out your cake." B/N said.  I nodded.  The bakery was  not that far from our house.  We lived in the United States, California to be exact.  I loved the bakery.  "Here, you pick something out.  I'll wait outside."  B/N said, handing me $50.  "I'm keeping the change!"  I yelled.  I picked out a few cupcakes, so I could have more money left over.  I got a plain cupcake with f/c frosting.  I got a chocolate cupcake for my brother and paid for them.  I walked outside and looked for my brother.  I didn't see him, but I saw what looked like a homeless man.  I hesitated before walking over to him.  "Excuse me?  Do you need any help?"  I asked.  The man looked up.  He looked starved.  I looked across the street.  "I'll be right back."  I said, jogging across the street.  I went into a store and brought some sandwiches and two water bottles.  I put them in a bag and went back to the man.  "Here, I want you to have this."  I said, holing out the bag.  
The man took the bag slowly.  I set the rest of the money I had left next to him.  "So you can buy something to eat." I said.  The man smiled.  He held out a box to me.  It was black with red designs.  "Take it."  He said.  "Open it when you absolutely have too."  He said.  I nodded and held the box.  "Thank you."  I said.  "Y/N!" A voice called.  I turned to see b/n running towards me.  I looked back, the man was gone.  I felt as my brother grabbed my shoulders.

"What were you thinking?  Where did you go?"  He said.  I took a step back, slightly scared.  My brother noticed and tried to calm down.  "I'm sorry n/n.  You had me really worried."  He said.  I nodded.  "I got us cupcakes."  I said holding them out.  "But I saw a homeless man and felt bad for him, I brought him some food and water.  I gave him the leftover money, he needed it way more."  I said.  B/N nodded.  "That was very generous n/n."  He said.  He noticed the box.  "Where'd you get that?"  He said pointing to it.  "The man gave it to me.  He said to open it when I needed to."  I said.  My brother looked worried.  "Let me see it."  He said.  

I shook my head, taking the box away from him.  "Nuuu.  You just jealous I got a present."  I said.  B/N laughed.  "Come on, we have to go to the airport."  He said.  "Why!"  I screamed.  I didn't like heights very much.  "Our parents set up a flight to Paris for you birthday."  He said.  I could tell he was lying.  "Are they there?"  I asked.  He sighed.  "Listen n/n.  Mom and dad won't be coming with us."  He said. "Why?"  I asked.  B/n had tears in his eyes.  "They... they were... killed."  He said finally.  I shook my head and took a few steps back.  "No!  Your lying!"  I screamed at him.  I turned and ran down the street.  I heard b/n call for me but I didn't stop.  I found an ally and looked over the corner.  B/N was running towards my hiding spot.  A thunder-like noice shook the air.  B/n fell to the ground.

People screamed and ran away.  I walked over to my brother.  "N/n..."  He said.  I saw blood everywhere.  "Get to the airport..."  He said before his green eyes closed.  I stood there until something zoomed past me.  I screamed for my brother to get up.  Someone grabbed me.  "No!"  I screamed.  The person pulled me up and lifted me in the air.  "Y/N, are you okay?"  They asked.  It was Adam, my dads friend.  I nodded.  "But b/n.."  I said, my voice trailing off.

Adam sighed.  "He's not getting up dear.  But I have to get you to the airport now-"  Adam fell.  I got out from under him.  Blood was sleeping onto his clothes.  I screamed and ran.  I ran until I couldn't anymore.  I hid in another ally and curled up.  I cried until there were no more tears.  I stood up and held onto the black and red box.  I ran to the airport.  "Hello?"  I said to the man at the desk.  "Oh hello.  How can I help you sweetie?"  He said.  "My name is Y/n L/n.  My brother said I had a ticket to Paris?"  I tried to sound like I knew what I was saying.  The man looked shocked and nodded.  He handed me a ticket.  "Ok, so you have to find gate A6.  Your plane should be loading by now so hurry up."  He said.  I nodded.  "Thanks."  I said.

 I ran to find the gate.  The lady was just about to close the door.  "Wait!"  I called.  The lady stopped.  "I have a ticket!"  I said.  The lady looked at the ticket and nodded, letting me past the door.  "Sorry, my dear."  She whispered to me.  I nodded.  I found my seat, a window seat and closed the blind.  I hoped things would be ok.  The plane flight felt like it lasted for ten hours, it was only four hours though.  I got off the plane with the other passengers and found someone with my name on a cardboard panel.  "Hello Miss L/N. My name is Sam.  I have you bags all ready and a car outside waiting.  I think you'll find everything inside your temporary home quite plesant."  He said.  I nodded.

Nine years later

I sat in my apartment.  I needed to get a job!  The TV was on, only because my parents, I struggled to think the word, had payed for me to live here for over a decade.  I'd been here for nine years.  I was fourteen, my fifteenth birthday in a couple of months.  A knock at the door told me to get up.  I went to the door.  "Hello?   Who is it?"  I said through the door.  "It's Sam."  A voice said.  I unlocked the door and let Sam in.  "How are you today Y/n?"  He asked.  I shrugged.  "Well don't be so down.  Your starting high school in a few days!  Maybe make some friends?"  He hinted.  I shrugged again.  I went into the bathroom.

The black box from that day still sat on the counter.  Come on, Y/n.  Open it soon.  I told myself.  I sighed and flushed the toilet like I was using it.  Sam knew that when I did this, I needed space.  "I'll leave the papers on the table."  He called.  The door slammed.  I locked the door after coming out of the bathroom.  I looked at the papers.  They were a class schedule and a school map.  I half smiled.  I went to my room and turned to lights off.  The next few days past quickly.