Chapter 21 (Black water)

I tried not to cough as I jumped from rooftop to rooftop.  Nox was going around spraying people with the dust from his vacuum hose.  Someone of them dropped and others started to follow him. I tried to spot where the akuma might be hiding.  I heard something land behind me. “Ah, Starfire. Hand over your miraculous and I will let you join my arm.”  Nox said. I shook my head, taking out a whip and a sword. I threw my sword at Nox and used my whip to swing away.  My sword appeared back on my other thigh. I bent down and closed my eyes taking a few breaths to calm down again.

“I’m not really feline this guys role.  What about you m’lady?” A voice said. I looked up, it was Chat noir. He looked half worried and half his usual self. I nodded. I stood up, and started coughing again.  I had to bend back down. Chat noir bent down next to me. “Starfire, what happened?” Chat asked. “He did something to the water, it was pitch black.” I managed to get out.  I heard something, that might have been a growl, come from Chat. He stood up and walked slightly away. “It looks like his akuma might just be the chain around his neck.” Another voice said.  It was Ladybug. She noticed how I was right away.

“What happened?” She asked. Chat growled again. “He did something to the water.” That was all he said. I stood up slowly. “I can still help.”  I said, my throat was already aching. Someone else joined, it was Lord disguise of course. “It looks like he heading toward the mayor’s house. If we can figure out how he got akumatized, then that might help us defeat Nox.”  Lord disguise said.

I nodded, forcing myself to take a deep breath. Instead of the sword, I took two whips out. “Let’s just get this over with.” I said slowly. The others nodded. (Btw, Lord disguise is going to be replaced with Carapace later on.  You’ll find out why later on as well.)  We headed to the mayor’s house.  Only to find it swarmed by both police and mind-controlled citizens.

I kneeled down on the edge of the roof.  “Now my minions. When the heroes show up, take their miraculous’.”  Nox paused, I could just about make out a butterfly made of light around his face.  “And keep Starfire away from her friends, she’s weak enough to be of no threat to our plans.”  He added. I growled.

The sound temporarily stopped the need to cough. I looked back at Chat noir.  He took a breath. “We need to go in pairs. That way Nox won’t be able to focus on just one of us. Ladybug, you and Lord disguise go in from the front.  Starfire and I will take the back. If the citizens stand in the way, just knock them out. We don’t want anyone to get hurt.” Chat cast a sideways glance at me.  I looked away. I wasn’t going to be a good help, I’d just be a burden. “Maybe I should stay back. If Nox thinks I’m not a threat, he won’t except me to come in later.  If you all keep him distracted, I can sneak up on him, grab his chain and free the akuma.” I said quickly. My throat started to become sore again. Nobody said anything for a while.  I took a few steps back as Nox cast a glance in our direction. “Ah, look who finally joined our party! Starfire is not with you, I see.

Good thing too, she’d just be a nuisance without her powers to help her fight against me.  Now, hand over your miraculous’. Then I’ll let you join my army as we take over Paris!” Nox said. I fought back the loud growl I could feel building in my throat but, instead, made sure it was low enough Nox could have no chance to hear it.  Whenever I growled, my throat stopped hurting. I might have just found a way to outsmart Nox in this battle. Chat growled to cover mine just in case, or he was just as mad as I was at the statement.

“If you think we’re just going to give up, your dead wrong.  Just because Starfire isn’t at her best, doesn’t mean she’s not part of our team! We will never give up our miraculous’, not as long as we can fight to protect this city.”  Chat yelled. I half smiled at Chat’s words. If Chat believed that I could still be apart of this team, then I would surely try my best to not let him down.