Chapter 59 (a lucky save)

Your POV

I gasped, sitting up quickly.  The was a small gasp, then a sigh.  I turned over, coughing, so I could get the water out of my lungs.  As I wiped the salted water away, everything came flashing back. The water, the cold, everything.  I hadn’t realized my breathing was rough. My h/l/c hair was dripping wet. I could feel the cold seeping through the fabric of what I was wearing very slowly.  Great, now it was going to get even more cold than before when Chat dumped that ice water on me. I felt something pull me from behind. It was Chat. That’s when I realized two things.  One: it was pouring, probably the thunderstorm that had been predicted. Two: Chat noir was crying. Why was he crying? “I thought I’d lost you.” Chat muttered softly. The wind blew roughly.  Being wet didn’t help at all, it only made it worse. “I’m so sorry Starfire.” Chat whispered. I sat up slowly. “C-chat, I h-have to get i-inside.” I said, like my voice wasn’t shaking uncontrollably.  Chat let go, hesitantly. “Let me help you get home.” He offered. I shook my head. “Y-you’ll know w-who I a-am.” I muttered. Chat seemed to accept that fact, just more reluctantly than he should. Chat knew that he couldn’t take me home.  It was too dangerous for any of us to know any of who the others actually were. I half smiled. “Do you know how to swim Mon Loup?” Chat asked suddenly. I sighed, shaking my head slowly. “I never r-really went t-to pools o-or anything like t-that, we never l-lived very close to t-them.  It w-was always too f-far and there w-was never e-enough time.” I half lied. The part of never really going to the pool was true, but there was one twenty or so blocks away. I’d just never felt like going out and walking to it, I’d always find a reason not to.

Chat ran his clawed/gloved fingers lightly through my hair.  I knew I had to leave, but the action felt… nice actually. A shiver rolled down my spine, but this time, it didn’t feel cold.  It felt warm, which couldn’t have been possible since it was still raining. “You’d better go before you catch a cold.” Chat said eventually, like he didn’t want to leave either.  I let my eyes close for a second, breathing in slowly. “You’re right. My brother will be worried by now.” I sighed. Chat helped me stand up, since I wasn’t exactly steady. Chat helped me get to a lower level so I couldn’t feel the rain anymore.  Both of us were soaking wet, but Chat seemed fine with it, just casually ignoring the cold. I guess he didn’t really mind water all that much. “Thank you, for saving me.” I said thankfully. Chat smiled, stepping closer slightly. “I’ll always be there when you need me.”  He whispered gently. True to his cheesy character, Chat lifted my hand and kissed the back of it. He’d turned and walked a little away before I moved again. I followed Chat, grabbing his hand and blushing darkly. He turned to face me. "You have no idea how much I owe you Chat."  I said, smiling softly. I could see Chat smile, wait… was he blushing?! Chat grabbed my other hand. "Anyone would help someone as purrfect as you m'lady." He purred softly. Thunder clapped, very closeby and loudly, making me yelp softly and jump. I’d ended up facing Chat again. I was against his chest.  Chat chuckled lightly. I looked back up at him, but didn't have any time to say anything. Why you ask? Because Chat noir's lips met mine. I kissed back, feeling myself blush even more. A soft camera shutter went off, making Chat and I pull apart. I half laughed. Could things get even more embarrassing than they already were?  Chat noir chuckled lightly. “You really should get home, I’d hate for you to get sick Mon Loup.” He said softly. I nodded. Chat turned and leapt onto a roof, this time I stayed put. “I’ll see you again, m’lady.” I heard faintly.

I half smiled.  “Until next time… Chaton.”  I half said back, even if he wouldn’t be able to hear me.  I went quickly back under the awning Chat had put me under the first time.  I glanced around quickly. I took a breath and let it out slowly. “Shadow.”  I said, feeling myself disappear from sight. I stepped out from under the cover and sprinted half a block closer to my apartment.  I found an alley, just as I timed out. “Yang, daylight.” I muttered, catching my breath. “That was close y/n.” Yang warned. I nodded.  “I know. Why did I not see we got that close to the river sooner?” I asked, mostly to myself. This was when Yin would usually say something to make me feel better, but I’d left her at home.  I hadn’t thought there would be an attack and just left with Yang. I opened my purse so Yang could at least stay somewhat dry. I looked out around the corner and waited for a car to pass. The rain had picked up severally, and I didn’t have an umbrella.  “Great…” I muttered. There was no way I was going to get a ride, I probably wouldn’t accept it if someone offered it anyway. I had to think about a few things. I left the alleyway and started walking towards the apartment. I didn’t feel like bringing my phone out, since it might mess up.  I’d dropped it and the screen cracked. It wasn’t by much, and the phone still worked perfectly, so I didn’t see the need to fix it. I sighed and crossed the street. Chat had seemed so worried about me. He was… crying. Did he think he had been too late or something? But that didn’t make sense.  He said he liked a girl, I wasn’t convinced it was me exactly, but he had been crying after he pulled me out of the river. He’d kissed me… again. But he didn’t know that Starfire and y/n were the same person. Maybe, just maybe, to him, it was like kissing two different people. I do like Chat noir, but I think I like Adrien too.  I didn’t want either of them to get hurt, but it wasn’t fair for both of them to try to get me to choose them over the other. Even if they didn’t know about the other person, it just wasn’t fair for me to make them try so hard.

I would have to choose between them, but I didn’t know how to.  It wasn’t like they were the same person, that would make it so much easier.  Chat had said he was different as his civilian form. I touched my miraculous briefly.  There was a honk from somewhere. I looked around. “Hey, are you lost miss?” A voice asked gently from a darkly colored car.  I half stepped towards the car, to get a better view of the driver. “I’m not lost, just walking home.” I said, trying not to sound disrespectful.  The driver squinted. “Oh my god! You’re y/n l/n!” They said, sounding shocked. I half smiled. “Yeah, I am.” I said, somewhat nervous. “Daddy, she’s going to get sick.”  A voice said from the back seat. I looked at the back window. There was a young girl, about ten years old, just looking at me with an excited expression. “Would me like a ride miss l/n?  It doesn’t have to be exactly to your house, just close enough you won’t get sick from walking in the rain.” The father offered. I hesitated. Some people seemed to have good intentions, but sometimes they weren’t good at all.  I half shook my head. ‘I’ve need watching too many horror films.’  I told myself.  “That sounds great, thank you.”  I said eventually. The person smiled and unlocked the door.  I opened it. There were actually two kids in the car. I recognized the boy.  It was Thomas, the kid who had been akumatized into Sandboy. His sister must have been somewhere else while he was akumatized.  I half smiled. Thomas and his sister smiled back. Hopefully Thomas didn’t recognize me as Starfire. I noticed the girl had a magazine with Adrien and I on the cover.  She must have recognized me right away. I sat down, not sure if the father would be very happy with a wet back seat. The father checked to make sure I had sat down before pulling back into the lane.  I told him where to drive, not bothering to stay a block away. Maybe they wouldn’t tell anyone they knew where I lived. “What were you doing walking around in the rain without an umbrella?” The girl asked suddenly.  “Kayla, it’s rude to ask questions like that.” He reprimanded her. I smiled. “It’s okay, really.” I said. The father nodded and seemed to focus on the road. I could tell he was going to be listening for my answer as well.  “I was taking a walk around the park before it started raining. I’ve always found the silence there after everyone leaves comforting.” I made up. Kayla nodded.

Thomas, who hadn’t said anything, was staring at me with wide eyes.  Did he figure out I was Starfire? Thomas smiled. “Thank you!” He said, very loudly.  The father slowed down. “Thomas! Don’t yell like that.” He half ordered. The father seemed to change his focus to me.  “Sorry about that miss l/n. Ever since being akumatized, he’s been wanting to thank Starfire. She brought him home safely that night.  I guess Thomas thinks you look like her.” The father explained. I smiled. “It’s okay. I remember when that story came up in the news.  I can’t imagine how you must have felt.” I said calmly. The father nodded. “Yeah. Me and my wife were worried sick. We’d been just about to go out looking for him when Starfire knocked on the door.  Kayla was over at my sister-in-law’s house over in The States.” He said. I smiled. “Actually … before coming to Paris, I lived in h/t (hometown)(Did I ever say where you lived before coming to Paris?).”  I said.  The father smiled.  “You didn’t have to tell us that.”  He noted. I nodded. “I wanted to. Some people just ask endless questions about how I like working for Mr. Agreste and with Adrien, or when the next line was coming out.  You three haven’t asked anything along those lines, or even anything like that. It makes me feel like a normal person again. I was starting to forget what that felt like.”  I explained, which wasn’t a lie. The father slowed down again, pulling to the curb. “This is it miss l/n.” He said, unlocking the door. I nodded. “Thank you… and you don’t have to call me by my last name.  Just say y/n, like we’re old friends.” I offered. The father nodded. “Would you mind taking a photo with Thomas and Kayla? My wife would be thrilled if she knew her favorite female model was in the car.” He asked.  I nodded. “That sounds good. Let’s just stand under the awning, so your kids won’t get sick.” I said, climbing out and helping Kayla and Thomas get out as well.